BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Jimny 2018+ - General questions to other owners

More
02 Jun 2020 23:24 #223183 by Busta
I'm quite shocked to see that the aforementioned roof rack combination weighs a whopping 40kg! That's the same weight as my steel roof bars, kayak and mountain bike combined.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 00:47 - 03 Jun 2020 00:50 #223184 by B3Hulk
Oh god, the vibe I am getting from everyone is " Don't say anything bad about the perfect Jimny, its you that is wrong" As I would like to remind everyone , with any new generation the first batches are always going to have some faults. The 2019 model , Gen 4 Jimny I own will no doubtly go through some hiccups before everything is perfected. The first gear grind is the perfect example.

I have had 3 different 4x4s with live axles from landcruisers to wranglers and none of them rock the same way that the Jimny did before replacing the suspension. Before anyone asks, yes they had stock suspension when I owned them. I am definitely familiar with how they are meant to feel and drive.

I always like to do some testing and see if I can figure out issues before posting. If I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, thats when I see out help from this forum.

The roof rack , light and awning all add weight, I am not denying that. The issue with the massive amount of stock body roll and rocking side by side was an issue before I added any of those items. I know increasing the centre of gravity will amplify the problem which it did . But yet again, the problem was there before adding the weight. If they were the root cause than I don't understand how the upgrade in suspension basically eliminated the problem while all those items are still on the roof.

The ear pain I am feeling are not from the roof rack , light bar, or awning. I have conducted tests by removing and swapping items around to see where it is coming from. I have theories but I am not sure, maybe the large windows vibrating and pressure inside, maybe the loud transmission or god knows what else. I am still working on that.

As for the weight, I went to the local tip and asked how much it weighed ( fully loaded) and it equalled to 1.28 tones give or take. Included everything from full tank of fuel to the KO2 tyres on steelies.

The wind deflectors actually help a lot with the windows shaking when they are partially opened but I don't really have an issue with it obstructing my view. The issue I had was with traffic lights up high as I needed to bend down a little to see. The lift kit did fix all that so no complaints there. But if you are talking about the wind deflector on the roof rack, I agree, complete waste of money. I have since removed it as I noticed no change in noise or fuel economy well, at the speeds I go anyway.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2020 00:50 by B3Hulk.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jun 2020 06:33 #223187 by Lambert
The new Jimny is so perfect that I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Oh no hang on not that. I test drove one and didn't like it, that's right. Dreadnaught on the heavy duty suspension is stable, the Spare Jimny on it's 2016 suspension makes me feel a bit ill and the 19 one that I tried was if anything slightly worse still and certainly felt more like I was perched on it rather than sat in it. Not for me I'm quite sure, unless its were modified from new.

As for noises I at first noticed that my cross bars were making a low thuding but either they have stopped or I have because accustomed to in.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Jun 2020 06:58 #223190 by Soeley
@B3HuLk
Can you describe the noise you are experiencing that hurts your ears?
Is it a low rumbling/drumming sound (similar to when rear car windows are open) or higher pitched?

More
03 Jun 2020 08:05 #223192 by Busta

B3Hulk wrote: As for the weight, I went to the local tip and asked how much it weighed ( fully loaded) and it equalled to 1.28 tones give or take. Included everything from full tank of fuel to the KO2 tyres on steelies.

That leaves it just 150kg shy of the 1435kg gross vehicle mass. So you can carry 2 adults and not a lot else.

More
03 Jun 2020 08:26 - 03 Jun 2020 08:27 #223193 by Gadget

B3Hulk wrote: Oh god, the vibe I am getting from everyone is " Don't say anything bad about the perfect Jimny, its you that is wrong"

Not at all. Every Gen4 owner I've encountered has been completely transparent regarding the shortcomings of the car. It's just that there doesn't seem to be anyone else who is experiencing the specific issues that you're encountering. I really can't relate to the ear noise thing and while I totally agree that it's a softly sprung car, I don't find that characteristic unpleasant.

Other major downsides that I forgot to mention in my original reply are that (in the UK at least) their corrosion resistance seems to be on a par with a 1970s Alfa Romeo. Also, as mentioned by someone else, the auto headlight sensor is infuriatingly sensitive, to the point that it's effectively unusable.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2020 08:27 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: B3Hulk

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 08:28 #223194 by B3Hulk

Soeley wrote: @B3HuLk
Can you describe the noise you are experiencing that hurts your ears?
Is it a low rumbling/drumming sound (similar to when rear car windows are open) or higher pitched?

The high pitch is from the transmission so thats not really a problem as I just let off the gas. What I am feeling are more like pressure changes and thumps on the ear drum when the windows are up. Kinda feels like you cover your ears with your palms and push in and out. No idea what would cause it but its just what I am feeling and hearing. Might be the large windows vibrating or maybe the pressure vents in the rear bumper are clogged.

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 08:36 #223195 by B3Hulk

Busta wrote:

B3Hulk wrote: As for the weight, I went to the local tip and asked how much it weighed ( fully loaded) and it equalled to 1.28 tones give or take. Included everything from full tank of fuel to the KO2 tyres on steelies.

That leaves it just 150kg shy of the 1435kg gross vehicle mass. So you can carry 2 adults and not a lot else.

The weight includes me in it and I weigh 105-110kgs haha.

When I say fully loaded , it includes everything I would have to go offroad:
  • Jumper leads
  • Esky (Ice box)
  • Chairs
  • Tyre repair kit
  • Tyre pump and tyre deflator
  • Full tank of fuel + Rotopax 2.25 Gallon tank
  • Tredpro trax
  • shackles
  • tools
  • tie downs
  • Awning
  • Dog toys
  • tarps
  • first aid kit
  • recovery gear
  • camera equipment
  • bbq and gas
  • tent and sleepign bags

That is basically everything I need when going camping or offroading.

When I use it as my daily, almost everything is removed so I am sure I am fine on the GVM. Plus, doesn't a suspension upgrade increase your GVM (obviously need to get it certified) or is that something I misunderstood?

More
03 Jun 2020 08:58 #223199 by Busta
Really? If the kerb weight is 1135kg and you weigh 105kg that leaves about 40kg for all those extras, which includes a 40kg roof rack.

I've never heard of a lift kit increasing the GVM, Is that something that tough dog claim?

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 09:11 #223200 by B3Hulk

Busta wrote: Really? If the kerb weight is 1135kg and you weigh 105kg that leaves about 40kg for all those extras, which includes a 40kg roof rack.

I've never heard of a lift kit increasing the GVM, Is that something that tough dog claim?

Hmm odd, according my to my registration papers Jimny weighs stock 1,075kgs. That is quiet a big difference compared to the UK model. The only thing I can think of that is different is we don't get the heated seats here.

You can increase your GVM by upgrading your suspension but I don't think Tough dog claims that it does.

"A typical GVM upgrade, depending on vehicle type, can range from around 300kg to more than 600kg in some cases. They typically consist of uprated front and rear springs and shock absorbers, which replace the original bolt-on equipment with no chassis modifications required. They can also result in a slight increase in ride height to provide more body-tyre clearance and, in some cases, harder compound brake pads are included."

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jun 2020 09:11 #223201 by Lambert
Gvm upgrade is an Australia thing that happens a lot for overland vehicles especially pickups with campers on the back.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Jun 2020 11:21 #223210 by Busta

B3Hulk wrote: Hmm odd, according my to my registration papers Jimny weighs stock 1,075kgs. That is quiet a big difference compared to the UK model. The only thing I can think of that is different is we don't get the heated seats here.

They are the same car, the weight is the same for you and us.
In the UK kerb weight is measured with a tank of fuel and is 1135kg for an SZ5.
suzuki.com.au says the *minimum* kerb weight for a manual is 1090kg. This will be without fuel (-30kg), screen wash (-5kg), floor mats, anything else that is not essential and can easily be removed. Heated seats add about 2kg. So it all matches up fine.

But even taking your 1075kg figure as accurate, add 105kg for you, 30kg for the fuel in the tank, 8kg for the full rotopax, 40kg for the roof rack and we're left with just ~20kg for all your other accessories (wheels, spacers, ladder, substantial tow bar) and everything else on your list.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds