BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Electrics question - inverter amps

More
26 May 2020 09:40 #222838 by me101
Hi, quick question for the electric guys. I have an old inverter in the car (can be run from a cig lighter socket), 500w peak / 300w cont. What will be the max amps drawn on this? I am assuming not too much if it comes with a cig lighter connection. Cheers

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2020 10:06 #222839 by 300bhpton
I would think the cig lighter wiring/socket/fuse would be your limiting factors.

More
26 May 2020 10:09 #222840 by me101
Hi, going to connect direct to battery, but just wanting to know the max amps it will use if possible. Cheers

More
26 May 2020 11:35 #222842 by RainerK
I would do it this way:

300W/12V = 25A, without any losses of the inverter. If the efficiency of the inverter is 80% then I would expect 30A. 500W would be 42A.

This would drain a 45Ah battery in theoretical 1.5hours, in reality probably more like 3/4 h and after 1/2hour or less the car might not start anymore.

I hope this answered your question.

In addition I would add a fuse as close to battery as possible and make sure, that the cables from the battery to the inverter a thick enough. If the cable length is 2m then I would go with 16mm2 or 6AWG. Maybe, if the cable is shorter also 10mm2 might be ok but a thicker cable is never bad. This is so that the losses are not too big and the cable do not get too warm.

• msrowell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2020 11:39 #222844 by msrowell
Replied by msrowell on topic Electrics question - inverter amps
25A assuming 100% efficiency - which it won't be. 500W peak is approx. 42A.

More
26 May 2020 11:43 #222845 by me101
Now here was my confusion. I got the above answers when looking on Google, but then wondered why these low power inverters come with a lighter plug? Will running an inverter plugged in here not do some damage?

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2020 15:59 #222850 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Electrics question - inverter amps
I've used an inverter on a boat but that was powered off 4x 90ah batteries and a complicated wiring system, quite effective. What a Jimny battery can achieve I shudder to think. Chris

More
26 May 2020 16:09 #222851 by me101
I think it is safe to assume they shouldn't come with that type of plug then. Will be going to a 2nd battery (will put something on here when finished!)
Cheers

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 May 2020 17:15 #222854 by Riccy
The cig socket fuse is 15a (180w), so the invertor isnt being used at its peak, or is lying about its abilities. If the cable fitted to it is relatively small (2.5mm say) then its probably best to fit a fuse according to that, If you can replace the cable then, as others say, use a larger cable (6mm would probably be about right on a 30a fuse). You want tri-rated flex or welding cable, rather than some domestic 230v twin & earth stuff mind ;-)

I would bet more that the invertor is unlikley to be able to produce the indicated power, and certainly not for long. A common thing with electronics like this.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds