BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

green lanes association, the magazine

More
21 May 2020 14:00 #222638 by gv42
it has a group from bigjimny :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2020 14:59 - 21 May 2020 15:01 #222639 by jackonlyjack
I for one have been on outings with
The original Jimny jaunts.
Drove town year and many other tight and scratchy (T&S) lanes.
Also like sniper says in the article
My Jimny (R&b) Ware's it's scar's proudly :laugh:

Going out with the guy's and seeing where they go is amazing......
So if you would like to drive the unbelievable take a trip :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2020 15:01 by jackonlyjack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
21 May 2020 19:49 #222644 by sniper
I haven't had my magazine through the post as yet and I have been racking my brain to think what was published, just remembered....

I threw this together, it might be of interest. Trust you're well.

My car was in perfect condition bodywork wise, barely a blemish. I was happy with my newly modified Jimny and was itching to give it some proper use...

Luckily, I felt, I had joined a group of very experienced green lane drivers, for a days driving in the Lakes.

All driving Jimny's, my car was the small one...... The other cars were very serious machines with huge lifts and massive wheels. My car looked like aunt Daisy's shopping trolly next to them. Despite a small lift and a Quaife diff, I felt very under equipped.

I gained in confidence as the day progressed and we drove some challenging lanes for me, Parkamoor and Tilberthwaite stick in my mind. As tough a lane as I had ever driven, I really enjoyed them.

Still high from my conquests, we stop at a lane and one of the very heavily modded trucks pulls aside and Brett Dukes who was leading the group approaches me.

"This one is a bit tight John, you might want to give it a miss... Riccy (the truck that had pulled aside) is going around, you can follow him if you want"

Well, Riccy was driving a Jimny with over 6" of lift, 33" mud tyres ARB lockers in both axles.... What could he be avoiding that the others were not bothered by.....

Town Yeat, that's what.....

"In for a penny" has always been a Moto and my front left wheel disappeared off the tarmac, following Dave Jones. The lurch left as you fall off the tarmac into the lane was a bit nervy for me and Dave just disappeared in to the bush in front of me.

Probably the tallest, fully caged Jimny I had ever seen, disappeared in a few seconds..... Where's he gone??

There was a wall of brush in front of me that appeared all but solid, the only hint of a byway was what looked like a foot path in the centre of the bush.

I folded my mirrors in and centred my self above the path, I pushed on very gently.....

The noise of hundreds of branches, big & small, dragging across your paintwork is not a good noise. The only comparable is maybe a class room of kids, dragging their nails on the blackboard at the same time.

A few more yards and "bang" there goes my passenger wing mirror....

I find the back of Dave's car, he's proper struggling and pushing hard against the bush. He stops and gets a chainsaw to remove a branch snagging his cage. My car being nearly a foot shorter got through without so much trouble.

Only another few yards and wow, daylight.....

The scars and little bits of damage that you pick up on the T & S lanes don't bother me, it gives the car character and a little validation I suppose... it looks like it lanes. It's cool to look back at a lane and say "never would have got down there in a Landy" and more importantly, leave little or no sign of our presence.

Jimny's tread lightly.....

sniper
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 May 2020 16:07 #222672 by Riccy
Mine turned up today, its a really nice feature. Great wordage Sniper! Some epic pics there too. I wonder who took most of them :whistle:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
22 May 2020 18:57 #222684 by Soeley
Mine came today as well, my first one. Quite an interesting read.

More
22 May 2020 19:50 #222687 by sniper
I remember penning the story around the same time as I was considering a fresh build on my car, that's where "tread lightly" came from....

sniper

More
23 May 2020 06:30 #222706 by kirkynut
That's great Sniper! I used to write the odd article in Total Off Road on Winch Challenge events. It's nice to see your work in print!

I really must join Glass and sort out some OS mapping on a GPS for laning and for the computer at home.

Do Glass do back issues of their magazine for members if I join soon to be able to get a copy?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
23 May 2020 16:31 - 23 May 2020 16:31 #222750 by sniper
Hi Kirkynut, I had forgotten about writing it, a couple of months back. It was a nice surprise but a little frustrating... it took about 4hrs before I remembered it....

I'm sure that GLASS will be able to sort a back issue for you, they want new members and will help I'm certain.

sniper
Last edit: 23 May 2020 16:31 by sniper.

More
24 May 2020 07:44 #222769 by kirkynut

sniper wrote: Hi Kirkynut, I had forgotten about writing it, a couple of months back. It was a nice surprise but a little frustrating... it took about 4hrs before I remembered it....

I'm sure that GLASS will be able to sort a back issue for you, they want new members and will help I'm certain.

sniper

Cool ta!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds