BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Thule rear mounted box?

More
07 May 2020 10:05 #221983 by treps
Hi, Has anyone used a Thule EasyBase rear mounted carrier on a Gen4?
I seldom need additional carrying capacity so it would be rarely used but greatly valued when needed. They look robust enough and easy to fix and take off. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

www.thule.com/en-gb/cargo-carrier/towbar...le-easybase-_-949000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 May 2020 11:23 #221986 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Thule rear mounted box?
That could be a useful tool on occasion, less of a pain than a trailer in the right circumstances and within the vertical load of the tow bar. I guess you would just have to remember it was there when reversing!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 May 2020 11:51 #221988 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Thule rear mounted box?
Check whether your towbar sits under the spare wheel of sticks out behind. It looks like you need it protruding to be able to fit the vertical front section. You'll need to remove whatever is on the rack in order to open the door, which could be a pain.

More
07 May 2020 22:23 #221999 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Thule rear mounted box?
Busta may have identified the first issue with the need to remove the spare to fit it, worth checking. I have a removable swan neck tow bar fitted to our GEN 3 which when fitted protrudes a good way from the vehicle, however our Thule towbar clip on bike carrier will not fit with the spare attached.
Could be useful, but small items will fall through the rail base unless securely fixed. I have similar issues with the rail base of my roof rack, to stop this I place a plywood floor on the rails before I load it, you may need the same.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 May 2020 05:20 #222001 by Lambert
Of the 4 Jimny we have had the 3 with tow bars have all protrude well past the spare wheel, do some designs not?

More
08 May 2020 08:22 - 08 May 2020 08:24 #222003 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Thule rear mounted box?
Hi Lambert - think even our tow bar (Witter removable Swan neck) is just past the spare wheel, so it looks like they all protrude past the spare ?
The issue is the Thule we have leans back slightly when the clamp is fixed to the towball, so the upper part hits the spare wheel. It's probably a feature of the bike carrier and may not apply to the Easy Base, but it's worth checking just in case.
That said it looks like you can remove the vertical arms from the easy base, or bend them slightly as they only prevent any load from touching the vehicle body.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 08 May 2020 08:24 by Scimike.

More
08 May 2020 08:25 #222004 by Busta
All of mine have been under the spare. I have recently fitted a 40mm spacer which brings the centreline of the ball inline with the back edge of the spare tyre, but it certainly isn't protruding past the spare.

More
08 May 2020 08:36 #222007 by Busta
These are my 2.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
08 May 2020 18:09 #222028 by treps
Replied by treps on topic Thule rear mounted box?
Thanks for your replies. I have the OEM removable 'elbow' bar. It seems to go past the spare wheel; just but should be enough. I will keep an eye out for one in the sales and report back. Cheers

More
08 May 2020 20:10 #222030 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Thule rear mounted box?
What about one of these to go with it?
Swing out arm

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 May 2020 21:03 #222034 by Lambert
When I get Dreadnaught back I will install the shin cracker and get a picture to be sure. It says Witter on the bag but the cover for the receiving part says something like gmd which I think are a German manufacturer? Remind me in a fortnight or so once I have her back home.

More
19 May 2020 21:39 #222556 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Thule rear mounted box?
I knew I'd seen these somewhere but couldn't find it whe searching for this thread. This one is on Wish, I like the idea of the removable wheels so you can use it as a truck when you get to your destination.

I don't know how good these actually are, but for demonstrating the idea it will do.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds