BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Maximum weight on Jimny's roof and rails

More
01 May 2020 10:34 #221731 by Bosanek
How much is the officially maximum permissible weight load on Jimny's roof (1998-2018)?
What is the practically recommended maximum to avoid damaging its factory longitudinal roof rails or the cabin?

I read the owner's manual but could not find this info.
Where is it written?

I use a 14 kg heavy Thule roof box for years and I am careful not to load it more than cca 40 kg. That gives about 55 kg total weight. I have not had problems with the factory roof rails, but the car does behave top-heavy while driving with the roof box loaded.

Now I am considering using a much larger roof box which on itself weighs 26 kg. So I wonder how much "weight room" do I have left. I do not want to damage the factory roof rails or the cabin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2020 12:16 - 01 May 2020 12:31 #221734 by Scimike
This is a can of worms with individual interpretation of the printed information supplied by Suzuki. So here is my take on this :-
No maximum load is specified for the roof. Limits will be the maximum load of your chosen roof rack system, and any applicable local traffic laws (unsafe load etc) and the maximum vehicle GVWR weight. Section 7 of 2007 Owner Manual (loading and towing) deals with vehicle GVWR and loading. You need to tell your insurance if you change the roof rack system as it's a modification.
The maximum load for the Suzuki roof rails (if fitted) is 30kg (page 4-11 of 2007 owners manual), maximum gross vehicle weight including driver, roof load and trailer tongue weight must not exceed max GVWR. The rails are plastic and so I would be cautious above this on the standard rail system. So you are already over the roof rail limit, I don't know what you have left until you hit maximum GVWR.
Hope this helps, but just my interpretation of the document stated. I can scan the pages if you want to read yourself.
Mike

PS this is G3 info. GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 1420kg for standard M13A

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 May 2020 12:31 by Scimike. Reason: Clarify Gen 3

More
02 May 2020 10:12 #221786 by Busta
People often cite that the reason for the low weight limit is the plastic ends on the roof rails however I suspect it's the other way around. I suspect the 30kg limit is to maintain vehicle stability, and seeing as they don't recommend carrying high weights on the roof there is no need to supply heavy duty roof bars. Also, I've never seen the plastic ends break.
Adding lots of weight to the highest part of a tall thing makes it much more unstable, and that's very undesirable if you have to make an emergency manoeuvre. It's also very undesirable if you are driving on uneven terrain. Given the Jimny has a total payload of just 320kg, which can easily be met with a passenger in each seat and a flask of tea in the boot, there is little need to have a high carrying capacity on the roof. Still, 30kg is enough for 2 bikes, or a kayak, or some lengths of wood from the builders yard, or a small roof box full of camping gear, so it's hardly an inconvenience.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 May 2020 11:07 #221791 by Lambert
Having replaced the factory longitudinal bars with a pair of transverse ones using the same roof studs I have made it a lot more versatile for carrying length with Dreadnaught. However I don't do that every day so pay a little in additional wind resistance but that's fine for the convenience. Also by eliminating the factory bars I have kept the overall height lower than having both longitudinal and transverse bars together I have also saved the 5?kg of the extra bars which is nice. However and this is the biggest thing I refuse to put anything on the roof that weighs more than I would be prepared to carry on my shoulder, I.e. less than 30kg. The roof is only for lightweight stuff that is too big for the interior.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 May 2020 08:57 #222042 by Bosanek
Thank you all for quality replies.

So, if I understand properly, the load rating for BOTH factory longitudinal roof bars together is 30 kg?

Well it appears that I had already regularly exceeded that load carrying capacity of the factory longitudinal plastic roof rails by carrying a 14 kg heavy Thule Ocean 200 roof box loaded with about 40 kg of stuff. That attests that the roof rails can take about 55-60 kg of load together.

I can also confirm that the vehicle does behave significantly more top-heavy with such load on. The effect is lessened if the vehicle is also full of passengers at the same time, because their butts do lower vehicle's center of mass. So the worst situation is having a full / heavy roof box on top an only the driver inside the cabin.

I had to make an emergency braking once from 80 km/h to standstill when I suddenly encountered a herd of wild boars crossing the road. There were 4 passengers inside and the roof box was full to the brim. Plus a lot of baggage inside the cabin (the 4th passenger was an emergency pickup due to their car being stranded).

The car behaved very wobbly during that emergency braking. I suspect, had the brakes been improperly adjusted to "pull" to one side during braking, that it would have been close to tipping over.

I agree that from a practical perspective, loading the roof more than say 60-70 kg in total is totally unwise, with factory longitudinal bars or not.

Also this larger roof box which I was considering is 235 cm long - about 60 cm longer than Jimny's roof. It would look like a boat on the car, and it would be quite "unaerodynamic".

Thule Ocean 200 (175 cm long) is just as long as Jimny's roof and thus looks like made for it.

More
09 May 2020 14:19 #222058 by Busta
I suspect that if you asked Suzuki they would say the maximum load on the roof is 30kg regardless of whether you are using factory bars or something bolted directly to the roof.

• rehtek616
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2021 20:07 #234885 by rehtek616
Replied by rehtek616 on topic Maximum weight on Jimny's roof and rails
I agree, I think that the weight limit has nothing to do with how much weight the bars can physically support. It's how much Suzuki thinks you can safely carry while staying in control of the vehicle. A lot in the manual makes me think they were very paranoid the thing would role over. I'm pretty sure it says something to the effect of: "avoid tight bends whenever possible".

I have a roof rack on at the moment and this got me worrying about how much weight the plastic bars could take... Turns out if I hold onto one of the bars in the middle (where I expect it's weakest) it can take my entire body weight (nearly 90kg on the one bar)

So even though they are plastic, they're actually very strong. I agree with you; I think the issue is that the Jimny has a high centre of gravity and rather poor handling at speed anyway, so they don't think it would be safe to carry more than 30kg in such a elevated position. No doubt they're correct.

More
06 May 2021 07:41 #234892 by Busta
I contacted Suzuki directly and they confirmed that 30kg is the maximum load for the roof regardless of whether you are using the original plastic bars or not. The same limit applies to the Gen4 which doesn't come with roof bars.

More
06 May 2021 10:23 #234895 by Roger Fairclough
Suzuki's apparent paranoia can be explained by the bad press they received over the elk test where swerve tests seem to indicate that the Gen.2 had a tendency to either lift inside wheels or even roll over. Properly driven tests vindicated Suzuki but mud sticks.

The roof loading specified by Suzuki will be based on tests and although it may appear to be low it must take into account evasive manoeuvres that suddenly present themselves. Bosoneks comment gives an accurate account of just what happens when you exceed the stated limit and all hail to him for telling us the story.

I have seen two motors roll over on RTV trials, one a Defender and two, my own Gen.2. Once it started, there was no way to stop it, so be warned.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds