BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Under Seal DIY

• Grima
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2020 09:43 #220349 by Grima
Under Seal DIY was created by Grima
In these times of lock down I thought why not give it a go. Trouble is no pit, lift or axel stands just 2 ramps & a jet wash. Looks like its going to be a dirty job.

Any tips would be appreciated, Thanks. (2019 SZ5 White)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Mar 2020 09:50 - 28 Mar 2020 09:51 #220350 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Under Seal DIY
As with all coatings preparing the surface is key, the more thorough the better. Depending on how much product you have concentrating on the wheel wells first and then seams in the body and chassis then larger uninterrupted sections tend to be less reactive than corners and joints and welds.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 28 Mar 2020 09:51 by Lambert.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2020 10:01 #220351 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Under Seal DIY
Wheels off and I think I took the rear silencer off the exhaust as it covers alot at the rear that will be hard to get to, like Lambert said prep is key, stiff brush and soapy water and then a good jet hose, leave to dry for 24hrs or whatever is needed and start applying a light coat, but make sure you have enough to go over what you've given a light coat, try and use a whole can at once i found that if you stop for a couple of hours the cap disent spray as well again even with a clean and I poke with a pin

Good luck let the swearing commence :D :D

• JimnyBob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2020 10:08 #220352 by JimnyBob
Replied by JimnyBob on topic Under Seal DIY
Its very messy stuff, make sure you wear a mask and goggles etc. as it gets everywhere.

More
29 Mar 2020 11:26 #220411 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Under Seal DIY
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis is one of the best things in my arsenal
Always use it when prepping for before paint
Very powerful with warm air available
My dogs hair dryer :silly:

Jack

More
29 Mar 2020 12:45 - 29 Mar 2020 12:46 #220415 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Under Seal DIY
Other tips - warm cans slightly (bucket of warm water) to get better spray and coverage. Wear a disposable overall (or old clothes you will bin afterwards). Don't smoke in the vicinity or you and car may end up as ashes. Goggles and gloves a very good idea. Messy but satisfying job - at least you will know that you sprayed into all the easily missed areas. Be prepared for strange smells as you will likely end up with overspray on the exhaust. Keep the spray well away from the brakes - I put poly bags over hubs. As other have said - make sure underside is clean and dry before application and if weather turns very wet - suggest you leave for a day to cure after application.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2020 12:46 by Bob1050.

More
29 Mar 2020 13:21 - 29 Mar 2020 13:22 #220421 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Under Seal DIY
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

jackonlyjack wrote: This is one of the best things in my arsenal

Jack

I've just purchased one for drying my Cycles / motorcycle and it's turned out to be a really useful gadget. It's fantastic at drying bikes, used during painting to blow away dust and even defrosted thick ice in the freezer in a few minutes.
A strangely useful gizzmo.
I have no idea if I can use it to dry the cat.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 29 Mar 2020 13:22 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Mar 2020 13:28 #220423 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Under Seal DIY
Our hydrotherapy guy has something very like these and I always admire it when he dries vimes after his swim but it never occurred to me that it would be useful for the car. Once it's safe to order of the internet again I will be having one.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Mar 2020 14:04 #220424 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Under Seal DIY
Leaf blower,saw dust,small rubble and also unblocks drain pipes
I'm really surprised ours still works been in use for 3 years :laugh: ;)

More
29 Mar 2020 14:44 #220426 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Under Seal DIY

jackonlyjack wrote: This is one of the best things in my arsenal
Jack

Haha! i got a few of those actually as the wife scaled up to twin engined fans to get extra fluffy coat on dog shows :)
Have been using them to blow dust out of the car, and when i hosed down the interior of my SJ (!) as a blow dryer as it was meant to..

But yes they are quite useful, i have had plans to make one of them into a hovercraft.. a sheet of plywood, a skirt of tarpaulin or something, a long extension choord.. hmm..:)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
31 Mar 2020 07:52 #220495 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Under Seal DIY

JimnyBob wrote: Its very messy stuff, make sure you wear a mask and goggles etc. as it gets everywhere.

I'd add to that some kind of head covering such as a welders bandana/hat unless you're a baldyshine type of chap that stuff is an utter nightmare for thickening a thinning wig!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
06 Apr 2020 00:02 #220744 by Me and my Jimny
Replied by Me and my Jimny on topic Under Seal DIY
As others have said, but if you don't want to take the back box off I found just unhooking it gives you a bit more room to get behind it

Also have a rag or newspaper ready to wipe the nozzle when it builds up

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds