BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Offered an Auto

• welshstu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2020 20:29 #217133 by welshstu
Offered an Auto was created by welshstu
Evening All

I decided a couple of week ago that I wanted a new Jimny SZ5 in Kinetic Yellow so have contacted loads of dealers one has come back to me today with an car which they will have in Feb/March in the right spec/colour but it is an auto. I'm tempted to go with it but a bit nervous that the Auto will make the car painfully slow. Anyone got experience of an Auto compared to a manual. Its not helped by none of my local dealers having any demonstrators.

Cheers

Stu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2020 23:19 #217135 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Offered an Auto
"Painfully slow"? Whether you end up with a manual or an automatic these Jimnys are not for those who enjoy life in the fast lane. My manual is for those who take pleasure in pootling around at very modest speeds and who like driving past (S)camera vans without worrying about gaining points on their licence. It's marginally faster than my tractor but if you go for an auto just be prepared to travel like 'Geriatric Joe' after sedation with horse tranquilisers. On the other hand even an auto might just put a very big grin on your face as you experience a different way of travelling from A to B. If it turns out that you really can't stand an auto-Jimny then getting rid of it should be simple and you might even get your money back - depreciation is supposed to be minimal.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jan 2020 05:08 #217137 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Offered an Auto
I have one of each in gen3 and yes the auto is slightly slower than the manual but it can be mitigated to a degree by by using the gear selector as a limit switch to put the revs into the power band such as it is, rather than just leaving it in drive. Having said that if you're not in the mood for razzing about the auto is a much calmer place to be especially over a significant distance. With the extra power of the 1.5 things only get better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2020 07:07 #217139 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Offered an Auto
Don't ever settle for second best.
I have no knowledge on a auto Jimny, but i once owned an auto BMW and what a waste of a car.
If your set on a manual...wait for it.
Then if you don't enjoy the Jimny it's nobodies fault.

More
10 Jan 2020 07:37 #217140 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Offered an Auto
Auto is considered by many to be the better off road configuration as there is no riding the clutch. It is a matter of preference but there is 2cents worth of opinion.
New Jimny ... be happy !

• welshstu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2020 08:35 #217142 by welshstu
Replied by welshstu on topic Offered an Auto
Thanks for your comments, I currently have an auto so not adverse to them it was just a saw an online review which had the 0-60 time of the manual at 12.5 and the auto at 15.5, I know that is only one measure and I am not expecting it to be fast but do want it to keep up with traffic so was just looking for anyone experience of driving one. | think I will probably go for it as if I pass it up it could be years before I get one.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jan 2020 08:51 #217143 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Offered an Auto

Jimx5 wrote: Don't ever settle for second best.
I have no knowledge on a auto Jimny, but i once owned an auto BMW and what a waste of a car.
If your set on a manual...wait for it.
Then if you don't enjoy the Jimny it's nobodies fault.

Sorry but I don't agree with the auto being second best it really isn't. The only occasion when the manual is really the one to have is that rare occasion when the B road opens up before you and there is no one else around and for a few minutes you can enjoy screaming the rods out of the block until reality shows up again. The rest of the time the auto is just as useful and much less frantic to drive and is much easier off road. If I were redoing Dreadnaught again it would be an auto too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2020 09:56 #217144 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Offered an Auto
I suspect the "second best" phrase refers to getting the exact model you want. When it comes to Gen4s, good luck with that. I've owned a bit of both over the years and whilst I have preferences I wouldn't condemn either.
As a footnote, remember manuals will gradually dissappear from the options list as electric vehicles become the norm.
Chris

More
10 Jan 2020 12:56 #217145 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Offered an Auto
I've driven both the manual and auto Gen4, opted to buy the auto and have put 6000 miles on mine so far. It doesn't feel massively slower than the manual to me and if anything is probably quicker off the line for the average driver, as it's just point and squirt, with no risk of bogging down or fluffing a shift to 2nd.

I live in an urban area with lots of traffic and it's fantastic in stop-start traffic, far less wearing than driving our other, manual car. Cruises well too, 60mph on the speedo is just under 3000rpm, which is pretty much identical to the manual.

It is however a basic auto box. Probably a good thing in terms of reliability, but you only have 3 gears plus lockup overdrive which means in some situations you can end up kicking down when you don't want to. Typical examples are when trying to maintain a set speed on the motorway and hitting a long incline, where it has a tendency to drop down one or even two gears and won't change back up until you're back on the level, which is all a bit shouty and noisy with the revs at 4000+ . You can avoid this to some extent by using the overdrive button to manually drop out of top.

Economy isn't as good as the manual (think 3-4mpg worse) and a characteristic of the box is that it won't lockup into overdrive until warm, so if you go straight onto a fast road from cold, it will be a bit revvy for the first couple of minutes.

It's better off-road than the manual in that you don't need to burn your clutch out to balance the car through tricky low speed obstacles, with the torque converter giving that precise slippage. You tend to have less wheel spin than a manual over the same terrain.

Rarely, when I'm on a nice quick twisty road I think it would be nice to have a manual, but most of the time I love the auto and wouldn't swap it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter, welshstu

• Royal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2020 14:03 #217147 by Royal
Replied by Royal on topic Offered an Auto
i got offered a SZ5 manual over the SZ4 in black that i want.. however i was being told that my order (which may or may not have ever existed) was being cancelled and i'd have to start over.

luckily for me another dealer had two unregistered in stock.. so for fear of not getting one at all i took it.

if their not gouging you on price i'd take it, especially if you want that colour

More
10 Jan 2020 16:20 #217148 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Offered an Auto
Jimx5

----
Slightly off topic, but....
I have only ever had one automatic, my last [company] car a BMW320d, I didn't want the auto, but had to have it as I had a tow bar fitted and BMW have some stupid restrictions. Anyway, got it with the sports steering wheel (flappy paddles), it was superb, in full auto, never used it in manual/flappy paddles, you must have had a bad one.

I am not a boy racer, but can swap cogs as fast as anyone I know, I would have been hard pressed to keep up with the auto in a manual version and every change was perfect, 0-60 was quoted as the same and mpg was slightly better (8 speed box).

I am not sure what the Jimny Auto is like, if it is 3-4mpg worse and a bit slower, I think I would go for the manual, but an auto is nice in town and the beemer was good on the snow (bit of a surprise that).

I guess if it is an auto or a long wait, I would have the auto and love it just the same.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
10 Jan 2020 18:03 #217153 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Offered an Auto

crash486 wrote: Auto is considered by many to be the better off road configuration as there is no riding the clutch. It is a matter of preference but there is 2cents worth of opinion.
New Jimny ... be happy !

My first experience of driving a 4X4 in serious off-road conditions was in an automatic. I was initially very dismissive and said I would prefer a manual transmission. However my instructor said that the capabilities of an auto transmission would surprise and delight me in extreme conditions and off we went to test the vehicle's capabilities. I will admit to being pleasantly surprised at what could be achieved with an auto transmission - although the vehicle was powered by a very large capacity American engine with enough torque to tow quite a few Jimnys behind it as we scaled the colliery bings of Ayrshire. Do not dismiss auto transmissions for off-road vehicles - I've driven quite a few and they have a number of advantages when the going gets tough. At the end of the day buy the vehicle that suits your own needs.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds