BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny 2007 - transmission cooler for an automatic transmission

• adirsabag
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2019 20:09 #209779 by adirsabag
hello, I am new here, nice to meet you all. I'm owning a 2007 Jimny, M13A VVT, automatic.

I have been looking for a tranny cooler, and got my eyes on two types: tube and fin, plate and fin.

A jimny mechanic told me that the jimny tranny is so sensitive that it demands the tube and fin, even that the plate and fin is actually better at heat reduction, because of better oil flow.

Is is true that I need the tube and fin cooler?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2019 20:24 #209783 by Keithy

adirsabag wrote: hello, I am new here, nice to meet you all. I'm owning a 2007 Jimny, M13A VVT, automatic.

I have been looking for a tranny cooler, and got my eyes on two types: tube and fin, plate and fin.

A jimny mechanic told me that the jimny tranny is so sensitive that it demands the tube and fin, even that the plate and fin is actually better at heat reduction, because of better oil flow.

Is is true that I need the tube and fin cooler?

Thank you.

If it demands the tube and fin.....but the plate and fin is more efficient at dissipating heat.......then you have a decision to make.........give in to the demands or go with the most efficient design.

No brainer really.....No?

• adirsabag
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2019 20:36 #209784 by adirsabag
I'm asking what to do. I got it that the plate and fin is more efficient at heat reduction, but is it really that bad at oil flow that the mechanic had to say that i better get the tube and fin?

More
09 Jun 2019 21:51 #209785 by Keithy

adirsabag wrote: I'm asking what to do. I got it that the plate and fin is more efficient at heat reduction, but is it really that bad at oil flow that the mechanic had to say that i better get the tube and fin?

The single tube is the simplest to mount or install.....I've seen a nice one from Mishimoto with a fan.

Mishimoto Cooler Here

Stacked plate would be my choice......but bear in mind I have a left leg and a manual gearbox.

• adirsabag
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2019 23:26 #209786 by adirsabag

Keithy wrote: The single tube is the simplest to mount or install.....I've seen a nice one from Mishimoto with a fan.

Mishimoto Cooler Here

Stacked plate would be my choice......but bear in mind I have a left leg and a manual gearbox.

ok, thank you!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jun 2019 04:07 #209790 by Lambert
I have also been doing a bit of research on this as I may have to eventually use an automatic for towing. I too was looking at the heavy duty fan assisted one Keith linked to above. It claims to be able to offer a 34 degree reduction in oil temperature. It also looks quite simple to install.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Jun 2019 17:57 #209816 by Keithy

Lambert wrote: I have also been doing a bit of research on this as I may have to eventually use an automatic for towing. I too was looking at the heavy duty fan assisted one Keith linked to above. It claims to be able to offer a 34 degree reduction in oil temperature. It also looks quite simple to install.

It'll be better than the one you haven't got.....as the saying goes! :D

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jun 2019 18:06 #209819 by Lambert
They do have one built into the side of the coolant rad but it's fairly anaemic.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds