BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What plans do you have for your Gen4?

• jimnyfox
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 18:31 #204259 by jimnyfox
Replied by jimnyfox on topic What plans do you have for your Gen4?
Suzuki dealer applied rust proofing for me before I took delivery - he assured me it would not affect the warranty; I've got underneath and had a look and they did a nice job of it too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 18:49 #204260 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic What plans do you have for your Gen4?
May i ask you what it cost? and do you know what type of coating was applied.

Thank you.

More
07 Mar 2019 19:05 #204262 by reedx

Bill Portland wrote: My dealer reminded me that you get a 12 year anti perforation warranty. He wasn't sure whether that could be compromised by applying any sort of treatment.

My dealer recommended getting my new Jimny waxoyled (I'd personnaly use Buzzweld WAR).

I'm sure he also pointed out that the Jimny only comes with a 6 year corrosion warranty, not 12 years as with the rest of their vehicles.

Colin

• jimnyfox
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 19:07 #204263 by jimnyfox

Andy2640 wrote: May i ask you what it cost? and do you know what type of coating was applied.

Thank you.

It was Waxoyl and they charged £100.

More
07 Mar 2019 19:21 #204264 by Bill Portland

reedx wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: My dealer reminded me that you get a 12 year anti perforation warranty. He wasn't sure whether that could be compromised by applying any sort of treatment.

My dealer recommended getting my new Jimny waxoyled (I'd personnaly use Buzzweld WAR).

I'm sure he also pointed out that the Jimny only comes with a 6 year corrosion warranty, not 12 years as with the rest of their vehicles.

Colin

The brochure says 12 years

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 19:42 #204265 by Andy2640

jimnyfox wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: May i ask you what it cost? and do you know what type of coating was applied.

Thank you.

Wow! that's a really good price, and is ideal..... as there will be minimal muck under the body.

Did they say when a reapplication of waxoyl would be needed?

This sounds like a winner too me. I wonder if all the dealers offer this service. I think i'll check with mine tomorrow.

• jimnyfox
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 19:55 #204266 by jimnyfox

Andy2640 wrote:

jimnyfox wrote:

Thank you.

Wow! that's a really good price, and is ideal..... as there will be minimal muck under the body.

This sounds like a winner too me. I wonder if all the dealers offer this service. I think i'll check with mine tomorrow.

That was my thinking, there won't be a better chance to apply it. The underside of the car is as clean as its likely ever going to be. There may be better products than Waxoyl around these days and I am sure, as with all things that someone will be along to say why Waxoyl is rubbish, but we've always used it on family classic cars and its given adequate protection.

They did not say how often to reapply Waxoyl, although when I have used it myself its been between 2-3 years. Bear in mind that this was applied to an already old car though.

More
07 Mar 2019 20:07 #204268 by Bob1050

Andy2640 wrote:

jimnyfox wrote:

Thank you.

Wow £100 - for all that's involved I'd just do it myself and spend the savings on petrol. As for your reapplication question - that depends on road conditions and your usage off road. Some areas it will wear off or be scraped off - other areas will probably never need retouching. Having done a few vehicles it's a very easy but slightly messy DIY job - you also get to learn in intimate detail about your vehicle's underbelly layout and condition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 20:24 #204271 by Andy2640

Bob1050 wrote:

Andy2640 wrote:

jimnyfox wrote:

Thank you.

Wow £100 - for all that's involved I'd just do it myself and spend the savings on petrol. As for your reapplication question - that depends on road conditions and your usage off road. Some areas it will wear off or be scraped off - other areas will probably never need retouching. Having done a few vehicles it's a very easy but slightly messy DIY job - you also get to learn in intimate detail about your vehicle's underbelly layout and condition.

Fair point,

But.....for a start i have no idea what not to apply it too. (except the obvious - Exhaust, things that get hot etc).

For a full under body coating done at the dealer before any road use, is worth the dosh and peace of mind IMO. I also like the fact that no warranty issues will occur due to it being done by Suzuki, or funny business if one did occur. I give the benefit of the doubt in most cases to companies im dealing with, but tend to air on the side of caution. (From past experience). In essence they cant pin any blame on my own DIY coating, if something unforeseeable did occur.

On the other hand, if you are familiar with cars, and what coatings to use, where to apply it, and have the time and will to do it all, then why the heck not, I'm with ya there.

For me personally, £100 for a full suzuki waxoly coating service on a spanking new underbody, when i just spent 19k on the motor, is well worth it. Heck...beats Buzz welds est. of £500-£750.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 20:45 #204274 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What plans do you have for your Gen4?
£100..... well worth it.

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2019 16:13 #205611 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic What plans do you have for your Gen4?
Bit late to the rust proofing party.... but here is my 2 pence worth!!! I had a Defender 90 some years ago and used a company called Rustbusters in Lincolnshire. Cant remember the price. But what an amazing job. I just had a quote to have my Gen 4 done when I get it. About £500. However.... for that they take off all plastic.... arches etc and use a fog inside all the chassis rails. Have a look at the website. It's where I will be taking mine when I get it...... June/July fingers crossed.

More
06 Apr 2019 17:07 #205613 by stiffsteve204me

Aj4x4 wrote: Bit late to the rust proofing party.... but here is my 2 pence worth!!! I had a Defender 90 some years ago and used a company called Rustbusters in Lincolnshire. Cant remember the price. But what an amazing job. I just had a quote to have my Gen 4 done when I get it. About £500. However.... for that they take off all plastic.... arches etc and use a fog inside all the chassis rails. Have a look at the website. It's where I will be taking mine when I get it...... June/July fingers crossed.

I, (hopefully) will be picking up my Jimny in June. Fingers crossed!

I live a couple of hundred yards (182.9 m,. should you be that way inclined), from the sea. Hence, plenty of salt laden wind, blasting in from the Moray Firth.

These guys, preserveprotect.co.uk/, are on my list. £600, quoted, and have good reviews. Logistics will not be easy, but such is life.;)

What did they use on your 90, product wise? How did it hold up?

If I were able, I would cross my fingers for your June/July date, but all of mine are crossed for end of May/June.:laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds