BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Modifying the recessed floor in the boot

More
10 Oct 2017 10:05 #185046 by Bosanek
In a constant strive to increase the cargo space in a Jimny, I got an idea to increase the volume of the recessed floor in the boot (the hole where the vehicle jack, safety triangle etc. are stored).

If I am correct, there is at least 8 cm of distance between the bottom of the boot floor and the exhaust muffler under it.

So the idea is to cut out the recessed floor section from the boot floor, and then design and make a new deeper (and possibly wider) boot floor and weld it onto the vehicle's body.

The end result should be a significantly deeper and possibly wider recessed floor in the boot, which could actually have some useful storage space.

The only additional things to take care of is to put some heat-resistant and heat-insulating material on the bottom of the new floor, in order to protect it from the heat from the exhaust muffler. And also to figure out a new rubber hanger for the exhaust muffler.

Is there any sense in this idea? Has anyone done this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2017 12:17 #185047 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Modifying the recessed floor in the boot
Why not? You can make it as wide as the boot floor is, and deeper by cca.5cm. That's a lot of volume for such a small boot and it will be usefull.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2017 12:42 #185048 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Modifying the recessed floor in the boot
The muffler hangs off the chassis not the body so no worries there.
It would be worth looking into.

More
11 Oct 2017 08:26 - 11 Oct 2017 08:30 #185090 by yakuza
On my car i have to take the muffler out the back opening behind the bumper, and not down to service it because of the trailer hitch. Beware not to close this opening if you need to change the muffler that way..

edit: Increasing the space in the recess would be even more useful if you had a body lift. You could increase the volume at least as much as the body was lifted.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2017 08:30 by yakuza.

More
14 Oct 2017 06:41 #185203 by Bosanek
So it's definitely feasible.

You are correct about the muffler hanger going from the chassis. It might still interfere, if the new boot floor is significantly wider. But that can be sorted out somehow.

It's just a matter whether this modification is financially worthwhile, but that is everybody's personal calculation.

So has anybody done (or plans to do) anything similar to this idea?

I agree that a body lift would certainly be very useful in this situation, as long as there are no plans to ever remove the lift.
I suppose that a suspension lift (spacer lift) or installing longer suspension would also provide the same additional space as the body lift of the same height?

More
14 Oct 2017 08:40 #185207 by jackonlyjack
Suspension lift will not make anymore space
Body lift will gain space between chassis and boot floor
also give more space above rear silencer as it hangs off chassis
;)

Jack

More
14 Oct 2017 18:53 - 14 Oct 2017 18:54 #185225 by Bosanek
You are completely right, and it is obvious once some thought is put into it. Silly me for not thinking a bit before writing!

Suspension lifts and longer suspension raise the chassis , and since the body sits on the chassis (that is not altered), the distance of the body from the chassis remains the same, meaning that the distance between the boot floor and the exhaust muffler is not changed ...

So only a body lift contributes to this cause.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2017 18:54 by Bosanek.

More
23 Oct 2017 05:43 #185438 by HUN

Hi,
I just fabricated this box. As a result I have bigger storage space for tools, etc. and a flat surface when seats are down. Combination of this box and a lowered body panel would significantly improve the boot.

Regards,
Gabor

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:

More
15 Dec 2017 15:40 #187487 by Bosanek
Excellent solution indeed! Thank you for nice pictures!

I have immediately added your solution to the wiki article " Cargo space expansion and management ".

Can you also take a picture of the wooden box closed with the rear seats folded down?

More
15 Dec 2017 16:53 #187489 by HUN
Thanks for that! Yes, I'll do on this weekend. ;)

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
15 Dec 2017 20:12 #187507 by helijohn

HUN wrote: I just fabricated this box.

Very Nice

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HUN

• Ruedeleglise
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2017 10:14 #187523 by Ruedeleglise
Replied by Ruedeleglise on topic Modifying the recessed floor in the boot
Done the same but taller so I can fit in muddy boots tow ball and lots of other guff. Will try to post pics once I can fathom out how to. I have the ultimate solution for carrying extra stuff.....a tray that fits on the tow ball! Only prob is that with it on you can’t open the rear door! But perfect for dirty loads.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds