BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GPS receiver for iPad

• Davyo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2016 16:22 - 22 Jun 2016 16:23 #168995 by Davyo
GPS receiver for iPad was created by Davyo
Anyone using an iPad (wifi only) in the cab.
I'm going to get one of those kits to make it an in dash stereo etc.
I have bought a new iPad mini 4 but it's not got GPS doh! Should of bought Samsung E but I've been playing with this for 2 days now so taking it back to apple is probably a no go.So anyone using one coupled with a GPS receiver? I know you can get Apple approved ones around £65 but any cheap alternatives ?
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 16:23 by Davyo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2016 19:14 - 22 Jun 2016 19:18 #169006 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic GPS receiver for iPad
I have two i-Pads and i'm using the app Navigon Europe on them (with Fresh-maps, Traffic Live and Mobile Alert Live premium as extensions, you have to pay extra for them but very, very satisfied with all of it).
The only problem is that both of the i-Pad's don't connect trough Bluetooth connection with my radio's in my cars, so the voice isn't heard trough the radio speakers but trough the internal i-Pad speakers.
So my solution is, i have the same Navigon app on our i-Phones too and with these my radio's can pick up the voice trough Blue-tooth.
So if we need to use the app, i use a i-Phone and an i-Pad...
On both you give the same route, the i-Pad i set the sound to zero but i have a big screen were you can follow the route visually and trough the radio i hear the voice that is send from the i-Phone... seems a little bit complicated but it works fine for me.
Why isn't the i-Pad sending the spoken directions from the Navigon app trough the radio... has something to do with hardware, something i-Pads don't have and i-Phones do have.
They did explained it to me about this problem but i have forgotten what the exact cause of the problem was.
Hope i helped you a little bit further...
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 19:18 by JuanGuillie.

• Davyo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2016 19:36 #169011 by Davyo
Replied by Davyo on topic GPS receiver for iPad
Hopefully sorted just got offer accepted on the bay for a tomtom GPS receiver @ £11 normally £50 plus new.They apparently work fine with the iPad.
Attachments:

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2016 22:43 #169024 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic GPS receiver for iPad
Oh, now you're making me very curious !!
I hope you let us know how things worked out once you can test it.
Maybe you can help me further then...

• Davyo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2016 23:05 #169025 by Davyo
It might be £11 wasted as I think you have to jailbreak the iPad (only bought it on Monday ) then down load cydia to override Apple Bluetooth so receiver can access GPS app (I'm using Sygic & Here).I will give it a try but not jail breaking a new iPad.If it doesn't work I will get the GNS 2000 £65 but Apple approved and works out of the box.

• Davyo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2016 17:13 #169143 by Davyo
Well buying the Tomtom mk11 GPS receiver didn't work & I would have to jailbreak my iPad 4.However at the moment there is no jailbreak available / ready for island 9.3.2. My only other option now is to buy a £65 Apple approved GPS receiver or ditch the iPad for use in the cab & just buy a second hand Nexus,Samsung or similar tablet with GPS already in.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds