BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Winch?

More
29 Dec 2015 13:49 #159288 by mark98
Winch? was created by mark98
I know this topic has been done to death, but I don't really know anything about winches. I am thinking about possibly putting a winch on the front of my Jinmy, but don't want to spend the earth on one. I have been looking around and came across this one on Amazon (www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0075O4IQ6?c...wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl). It is rated to pull up to 4500lb (2041kg), which is more the weight of a fully loaded Jimny.

It would only be used to pull myself out of a hole and possibly the odd stuck car. Would this be suitable, or would I really need to spend more to get something else? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mkay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2015 15:24 #159293 by mkay
Replied by mkay on topic Winch?
Buy one at £90 and an extra length of dynema and a couple of cheap snatch blox. Will do you fine for gentle off roading.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2015 15:47 #159294 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Winch?

mark98 wrote: I know this topic has been done to death, but I don't really know anything about winches. I am thinking about possibly putting a winch on the front of my Jinmy, but don't want to spend the earth on one. I have been looking around and came across this one on Amazon (www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0075O4IQ6?c...wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl). It is rated to pull up to 4500lb (2041kg), which is more the weight of a fully loaded Jimny.

It would only be used to pull myself out of a hole and possibly the odd stuck car. Would this be suitable, or would I really need to spend more to get something else? Thanks

For occasional winching I'd say it's okay. And if you need extra pulling power use a snatch block. Don't be scared of the wire rope. If it's well maintained it'll last for years. But avoid smaller winches than this.

More
29 Dec 2015 18:17 #159299 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Winch?
Do be aware that warrior/champion winches can fail I don't know how common it is but I've seen what was left of one that was winching a Jimny up an incline

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2015 18:23 #159300 by TomDK

Basketcase wrote: Do be aware that warrior/champion winches can fail I don't know how common it is but I've seen what was left of one that was winching a Jimny up an incline

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the brand. What size winch was used?

But you're right. Warrior winches are not the best around. But for recovery from a bog or similar it's no big issue. If it breaks.. just mean you're stuck... again :D

More
29 Dec 2015 18:34 #159301 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Winch?
Sure it was a 9000lb one with Dyneema rope ended up in about 5 different parts should and was brand new

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2015 18:53 #159304 by TomDK

Basketcase wrote: Sure it was a 9000lb one with Dyneema rope ended up in about 5 different parts should and was brand new

Well.. that should easily pull a jimny through anything :)

More
29 Dec 2015 22:09 #159329 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic Winch?
Thanks for your reply's. I might look into this further soon... ;)

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds