BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

smallest winch for self recovery in snow

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2010 18:25 #5722 by mkay
i need a winch for self recovery in snow ie. bellied out.

rearward facing on detachable mount to pull myself back to where i had traction

i need somthing small and light, i was thinking a supawinch UTV4000 as the jimny doesnt weigh much more that a fullsize kubota UTV.

how would be the best way to accomplish a detachable system?

my firt thought was remove the flange on the tow bar and have a thick plate L shape made to mount the winch on...but i want to keep my towbar useable...

and ideas? or practical advise?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2010 15:26 #6094 by ooky_123
Hi Lift ? ... if your just winching from snow, then you only really need to beable to move the weight of the vehicle and contents rather than 1/2 tonne of sticky mud!!!...

If you know how, you can winch using a Hi-Lift as a winch ... takes a while but for £50 plus roap... its good value.

Failing that, assuming your only winching out of snow when grounded, get the smallest one you can .... say a 750kg one .. just enough to get you rolling .. again, it wouldnt be sufficient for recovery from a muddy hole, but for simple hauling you off becoming beached in snow, it will probably work.

decisions decisions .....

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
18 Nov 2010 15:38 #6098 by Jamie
even better than a Hi-Lift are the Tirfor style winch
reall portable and a lot easier to set up than a Hi-lift.....

However the Tirfor only does one job and the Hi-Lift is more versatile,
Saying that i've a Hi-lift and only used it once in four years and that was
for a tree stump!!! If you want one let me know, i could be persuaded to
sell it on,

Tirfor cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tirfor-Winch-Landrover-Of...&hash=item19c1001256

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 16:15 #6102 by mkay
thanks for the replies, its good to know my logic is not ill logical.

a tirfor would be ideal for the time being, although i will definatly go electrical next year.

any ideas for a rear mounted tray on a vehicle fitted with a towbar?

i keep having them but it always requires me to have the winch offset to one side or even under the vehice, which is rather impractical

More
18 Nov 2010 16:36 - 18 Nov 2010 16:43 #6104 by Asbojimny
I'm sure on e blag,there are small electric winches that loop over your tow bar. A simple power socket would make it de mountable in seconds.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toolzone-12-v-6-000Lbs-Bo...&hash=item2c5200d4d1

Or a bolt on plate like this...

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Winch-Universal-Tow-Ball-...&hash=item4142a1b04d

scottishmudclub.com
Last edit: 18 Nov 2010 16:43 by Asbojimny.

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2010 17:48 #6109 by mkay
the little winch is intriguing, the mount is exactly what i had in mind.

perhaps i should mount it in the boot and fit a fairlead in the rear door.

we'll see ho that little unit works i think though.

keep the ideas coming!...

More
18 Nov 2010 18:33 #6112 by Asbojimny

mkay wrote: the little winch is intriguing, the mount is exactly what i had in mind.

perhaps i should mount it in the boot and fit a fairlead in the rear door.

we'll see ho that little unit works i think though.

keep the ideas coming!...

We fitted a rear winch by cutting hole in boot floor,welding some plate to underside of chassis and winch rope exits through the heavy duty bumper.

scottishmudclub.com

More
18 Nov 2010 20:57 #6122 by mlines
There are a couple of things to remember about winches.

The pulling power (750kg) is the maximum pull. The pull DECREASES with each layer of rope on the winch, therefore the pull of a winch when only a short piece of rope is wound out is a LOT LESS than the quoted pull.

However, using a snatch block and creating a double pull DOUBLES the pulling power (but halves the winch speed). Also as a double pull spools more rope off the drum you are likely to have fewer layers of rope on the drum which also increases the pulling power.

Therefore it is possible with a little care to make the smallest of winches more powerful by spooling out as much rope as possible and doubling (or tripling!) the pull.

A few years ago a Landrover magazine recovered a Landrover with a "rope" made out of Duct Tape by creating a multiple pull ( I think it was in the region of 15 loops of duct tape (I don't know the word for 15 in the sequence double, triple, quadruple...)

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Nov 2010 23:05 #6127 by ooky_123
I have access to a Turfor winch .. but to be honest, the winch needs setting up correctly or it can be very dangerous.
Lots of copies and poorly maintained ones on ebay.
Plus you have to carry around a length of cable that isnt easily stored, sometimes oily cable.
on the flip side, a well maintained turfor will last a lifetime and you can easily pull massive weights with them due to the double clutch mechanism inside.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds