BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stealth winch install complete!

• Russ-41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2015 23:56 #140173 by Russ-41
Stealth winch install complete! was created by Russ-41
I've had my winch from Dave at Bits4Vits sitting about for a month or so now while I accumulated various bits and bobs and routed cables, fuses and isolators etc. I finally got stuck into the physical winch install Thursday night and got it finished off Yesterday morning in time for a test!

My thoughts were, I don't want to cut the steel body - success, I don't want to modify anything - success, and I want to retain as much of the bumper as possible, maybe just have a small hole for the fairlead - success, but I ended up using the big roller fairlead not a stainless loop so it is quite big. I also had to cut and fold back a bit of the grill to allow the clutch handle to be accessed

Spot the winch? ;)

As it turned out the ORA winch plate was much deeper and wider than my little Tmax EW6500 so I could mount it a bit further back. I set about chopping it up and thought, I might as well move the winch back as much as possible. without the fairlead being behind the bumper obviously.

I removed the front section of the ORA plate so it's basically flush with the mount points on the right and left hand side. I wanted to mount the winch about 5-10mm from the radiator so I decided to extend the plate backwards.

I ended up cutting the vertical section off the angle iron that I'd welded on the rear of the plate as the extra 5mm came out of the winch to rad clearance and I didn't want it that close - it served no purpose either it just looked good sitting against it nice and flush.

As you can see, I also drastically narrowed the fairlead mount bit, it was almost double the width of my fairlead! It's also slightly off centre as the winch motor is bigger than the gearbox and I didn't want to move my power steering hoses for the sake of less than 20mm. I also rotated the handle that engages and disengages the drum, this was a doddle, just a case of removing the 2 bars linking the two halves to the drum, and removing a few small cap heads, rotating and bolting back together, the hardest part was getting the nylon bearings on either end of the drum to behave on assembly, but then I realised they were notched and one went one way :silly:

The EW6500 winch fitted without leaving a nats nut of room between the ORA plate and the body above it. The rear to bolts had to be installed with the plate off the car completely since they were sitting over the chassis cross member.

Sadly due to the shape of the entry hole to get the dam thing in it wouldnt fit once plate and winch were bolted together, I couldn't install it from the back either. I ended up undoing the body mounts at the front and lifting the body off the chassis about an inch or more to give the room to work comfortably - bit of a job, bit its done right, and its exactly what I wanted. I've managed to get away with 2 small cuts to bumper on cross bar that the number plate fastens to just so the rollers can stick out, without that on it all sits completely behind the standard bumper thus no cuts to the lower air scoop which provides air to the RAD.

The numberplate is normally mounted over the fairlead to hide it a bit from preying eyes and there is a third tapped hole to the drivers side so I can mount it off centre when I'm heading out.

Happy days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 09:17 #140189 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Stealth winch install complete!
Bloomin tidy. I like that :)

More
09 Mar 2015 11:03 #140197 by X8GGY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Russ-41

• Adz6660
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 19:48 #140258 by Adz6660
Replied by Adz6660 on topic Stealth winch install complete!
That looks really tidy very well done mate

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 20:20 #140264 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Stealth winch install complete!
As said, a very tidy installation indeed ..... ;)

More
02 Apr 2015 17:11 #141809 by chewy2
Looks very good!

I took some measurements today to see if I can do it too, but it seems impossible.
The dimensions of the winch are 470x160x205mm, and there are no more than 100mm between the radiator fan and the bumper...

More
02 Apr 2015 19:05 #141816 by Busta
Sounds like you have air-con, in which case there won't be enough room to do it as neatly as this.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds