BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My Jimny Beach Experience

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 08:04 #5235 by Adamski
My Jimny Beach Experience was created by Adamski
Last night i met up with a couple of friends near Liverpool and took the Jimny to a place called Thurstaston where you can drive on the beach. The Jimny performed amazingly, bouncing up and down the dunes. Later on a few chavs turned up in a lowered VW Polo and for some strange reason took it on the beach and got stuck immediatley. I used the Jimny to tow them off and it pulled like a train, was no problem at all getting then off (my nobbly tyres definatley helped) B). Following this my alternator drive belt started to slip and then snapped so I ended up having to get towed back.

Suffice to say my tow rope was well worth the £6 from Tesco :cheer:

My car is now in a garage getting the belt changed, I would do it myself but I'm 150 miles away from home. Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for this? As its been years since I've paid a garage to do work on my cars as I always do it myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 09:31 - 18 Oct 2010 09:32 #5236 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic Re: My Jimny Beach Experience
Nice 1 Adamski. Chavs, lowered Polo, stuck on beach - I don't suppose the tide was on its way in? :evil:

There's a few beaches you can drive on in Wales - don't know why but I always get a 'feelgood factor' driving on a beach!

Don't know how much for the belt - shouldn't be much at all. If you're 150 miles from home it's gonna cost what it costs :( . Getting back on the road is the main thing.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 09:32 by Reloaded.

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 13:06 #5242 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: My Jimny Beach Experience

Mick C wrote: Nice 1 Adamski. Chavs, lowered Polo, stuck on beach - I don't suppose the tide was on its way in? :evil:

There's a few beaches you can drive on in Wales - don't know why but I always get a 'feelgood factor' driving on a beach!

Don't know how much for the belt - shouldn't be much at all. If you're 150 miles from home it's gonna cost what it costs :( . Getting back on the road is the main thing.

haha yeah the tide was on the way in, i was tempted to leave them but felt obliged to show what the Jimny can do :P. yeah it was the first time ive driven on a beach and loved it, 2wd & 4wd donuts are great!

The car is now fixed, both belts changed, £43 inc parts & labour, which i though was pretty reasonable.

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 14:44 #5244 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: My Jimny Beach Experience
I went out on red wharf bay on Anglesey last year to demonstrate my trucks abilities to my "i dont need a driving licence because theres buses" brother (who's alot older than me, and as Mum and Dad said afterwards "should have known better!!!:lol: ". Everything was going brillant, drifting, doughnuts, etc, all those things the old bill normally have the chavs for on the roads, as well as giving him a crash course in how 2wd/ 4wdH/ 4wdL works with regards gearing. My thinking was they aint likely to come across the beach to tell me off :whistle: Well...... brothers being brothers - one eggs one, the other eggs more and that big puddle i aimed for to make the biggest splash of the night, well.......

Attachment _MG_28181.JPG not found

it was a bit deeper than i thought :ohmy:

We got stuck at about 10.30 and gone midnight i was still waiting for the AA to recover me, having had to join over the phone. My insurance recovery wouldnt cover me as i mentioned i was on the beach, so when i phone the AA i was "just off the car park on the beach" ;) Total cost was £150 :(

And even worse was the fact that the tide was coming in :( The only people on the beach that night we us two, and the local chavs "having a smoke" - didnt even ask them to tow me out in their corsa, so we waited for the AA

I've learnt from my mistake - always got a spade in the back, at least 20ft of tow rope and a mobile phone that works. Amazingly though, with all this technology, the AA went off the sat nav and not the grid reference i was able to give them from the OS map we had, so we did see the AA man on the other side of the bay, looking for us, before he rung us back to find out we were on the other side of the estuary
Attachments:

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 15:40 #5246 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic Re: My Jimny Beach Experience
Nightmare! it's mad how things can decline into an ordeal so quick. At least it was recovered before high tide. I've Been to Red Wharf Bay, we parked up and walked the dogs on the beach though :)

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 16:44 #5248 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: My Jimny Beach Experience
Walk??!!! Whats that?!! I've got a jimny, if it wont go anywhere then neither do i!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 17:53 #5252 by JimBru
Replied by JimBru on topic Re: My Jimny Beach Experience
sounds like a good outing :P

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds