BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Is A External and Internal Cage A Bit Much

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2013 22:31 #97122 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Is A External and Internal Cage A Bit Much
how fast are you going to be going when you crash? :unsure:

when we offroad its usually at less than 10 mph so an external will do for us when we "rub" it against trees etc

the jimny has been rolled before we had it, and the only thing done to it was a rear window being replaced

an internal cross brace will make it stronger but I prefer it not to look like this if I do do it so external for me :side:

kirkynuts just need a wing after this

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2013 00:08 #97130 by idiotmobil
True slow speeds there find but what if you climming a hill fail and it goes wrong like it can rolling down and say 50 foot hill I know I would want a cross member I know that's going to not be very often but mite as well build it once and build it proper

JIMNYLESS

More
22 Dec 2013 03:40 #97133 by kirkynut

darthloachie wrote: how fast are you going to be going when you crash? :unsure:

when we offroad its usually at less than 10 mph so an external will do for us when we "rub" it against trees etc

the jimny has been rolled before we had it, and the only thing done to it was a rear window being replaced

an internal cross brace will make it stronger but I prefer it not to look like this if I do do it so external for me :side:

kirkynuts just need a wing after this

This was a very slow plop onto its side and it crumpled the front wing only because that was on ruts that stuck up a bit. I never replaced the wing though and it is as after that incident to this day.

Without an external cage I'd have been looking for another Jimny! I have clouted trees so hard I would have caused such damage so as to write it off many times over.

So my external cage is worth its weight in gold. An internal cross bar going diagonally from the cage through the roof and floor via sandwich plates would finish it off but I want the use of my back seats, so I've not got one.

If I ever did anything where I thought it might roll properly (the above wasn't a proper roll) I would have a winch rope attached to me from either my own truck to a tree or another truck straight to me to stop it going over.

You pays your money you makes your choice!

A whole internal cage & a whole external cage linked together would be the ultimate protection but would weigh a ton!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds