BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fan belt

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 20:07 #91656 by ritchie
Fan belt was created by ritchie
Hi, I posted on the "what did you do to your jimny today" thread saying my girlfriend had a little trouble with my jimny a few days ago and that I wasn't home to see what caused the steam pouring out the bonnet. Well, got home today and went straight to it. The radiator header bottle had falling off and the radiator was empty. So topped it all up and went to start it and it struggled for half a second then nothing. Further investigation and I noticed my fan/alternator belt had snapped. Was happy because at first I Thot it was seized. Anyway the question is, I replaced the belt about a month ago so can't think why it would have snapped already. Only thing I can think of is maybe I put it too tight but I'm pretty sure I never hence why I've wrote this thread. So Any other suggestions of the cause.
Water pump? Bad belt?

Any suggestions would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Docmartin4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 20:25 #91664 by Docmartin4x4
Replied by Docmartin4x4 on topic Fan belt
It does sound like something has seized, water pump/alternator, and it has burnt the belt through. Has the belt snapped or has it been worn through?

Mart

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 20:31 #91665 by ritchie
Replied by ritchie on topic Fan belt
Everything turns easy enough by hand with the belt off and the belt was a clean snap, but when I look at the belt closely it is full of small cracks as if it was 5years old. Wasn't like that wen I installed it last month.
Am I right in sayin that the fan has a small clutch inside. Wondered maybe that's damaged but didn't think I would be able to turn it be hand with no sound or feel of damage.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 20:56 #91674 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Fan belt
The fan is free wheeling and locks in when hot

the tightness of the belt you should be able to twist it 90° fit a new belt top it up and blead the system out

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2013 07:58 #91804 by ritchie
That's my plan, thanks guys.
Getting a new belt today so will see what happens.

• kx100
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2013 12:06 #91844 by kx100
Replied by kx100 on topic Fan belt
Know how you feel mate I'm on my 5th belt in 3 month and fitted a new one on Friday and before I got a mile from home it snapd so fitted the spare and it snapd agane last night I'm pretty gutted as I now just want rid of the jimny as have lost all faith in it :/

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2013 13:36 #91857 by ritchie

kx100 wrote: Know how you feel mate I'm on my 5th belt in 3 month and fitted a new one on Friday and before I got a mile from home it snapd so fitted the spare and it snapd agane last night I'm pretty gutted as I now just want rid of the jimny as have lost all faith in it :/

That's really not good. I hope That's not what's about to happen to mine.
I'm starting to think its something to do with the fan clutch mechanism. I'm aboot ti fit my new one so here's hopin it's ok this time.
Really frustratin tho.

• kx100
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2013 13:39 #91859 by kx100
Replied by kx100 on topic Fan belt
As much as I love my jimny I'm thronging it getting rid of it for a car :(

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds