BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimnys on road question

• Boyles11
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 13:06 #91092 by Boyles11
Jimnys on road question was created by Boyles11
Hi I'm after some info I'm currently looking to buy a jimny and all the ones I find are far away, now the question is what are they like to drive long distance on motorways when they have lift kits and big tyres and stuff? I've found one nearer but is still 2hours away.
Any help would be great

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 13:10 #91093 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Jimnys on road question
mines not lifted but is on mud tyres and i didnt think it was to bad on a 200mile trip, stuck below 60 tho. its never gonna be as comfy or relaxing to drive as a big audi or such but it is what it is. id rather drive a jimny that far than a defender :laugh:

More
14 Nov 2013 13:13 - 14 Nov 2013 13:13 #91095 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Jimnys on road question
They can be "interesting" to drive, depending on how well the lift was done and whether things like the gearing has been sorted.

They can wander around, tramlining in the ruts on the carriageway and responding poorly to steering wheel inputs.

Without gearing correction you may be stuck at speeds just over 50mph.

Fuel consumption can be high.

I think I would be reluctant to drive a highly modified vehicles long distances until I was used to it and had checked out how well things have been fitted.

Having said that, a properly fitted kit with all the corrections etc. will drive ok, but its not an Aston Martin.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 14 Nov 2013 13:13 by mlines.

More
14 Nov 2013 13:13 #91096 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic Jimnys on road question
mine not great but 2 hour drives ok, man up and drive it is the only way to go

JIMNYLESS

• Boyles11
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 13:36 #91097 by Boyles11
Replied by Boyles11 on topic Jimnys on road question
Nothing to do with manning up lol I just wanted to know what they can be like, My last car was a 1960's beetle which was a interesting drive if you have not drove one before, all my concerns was the speed you can do and if it would blow up or not lol

• ritchie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 13:38 #91098 by ritchie
Replied by ritchie on topic Jimnys on road question
motorways and dual carriageways are usually boring to drive on anyway, the jimny keeps them interesting. :)
in all seriousness ive drove 200miles + and apart from taking much longer to get there I thought it was fine. but I wouldnt do it too often.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 14:14 #91104 by jonesyba420
the jimny is by no means a fast commuter more of a leisurley sunday cruiser :laugh:

if you want something that can cruise down the motorway at 80-90mph all day then your looking in the wrong place.

• Boyles11
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 14:21 #91107 by Boyles11

jonesyba420 wrote: the jimny is by no means a fast commuter more of a leisurley sunday cruiser :laugh:

if you want something that can cruise down the motorway at 80-90mph all day then your looking in the wrong place.

This will no means be a fast car! I have one of them at home this is all about off road, all my question was about getting it back home with out any issues this is not going to be used as a everyday car

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 14:33 #91115 by jonesyba420
so basically your question is, will it explode or rattle itself to pieces on your 250mile trip?the answere is probably not unless its already got issues :whistle:

• Boyles11
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 14:33 #91116 by Boyles11

Boyles11 wrote:

jonesyba420 wrote: the jimny is by no means a fast commuter more of a leisurley sunday cruiser :laugh:

This will no means be a fast car! I have one of them at home this is all about off road, all my question was about getting it back home with out any issues this is not going to be used as a everyday car

P.s sorry if that come across abit abrupt :whistle: I've just read it back and ment in a friendly manner

• Boyles11
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 14:34 #91117 by Boyles11

jonesyba420 wrote: so basically your question is, will it explode or rattle itself to pieces on your 250mile trip?the answere is probably not unless its already got issues :whistle:

Yeah basically as I'm new and really don't know what I'm looking for and don't wanna get ripped off with a load of pap

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 14:35 #91118 by jonesyba420

Boyles11 wrote:
P.s sorry if that come across abit abrupt :whistle: I've just read it back and ment in a friendly manner

no offence taken :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds