BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Trivial question manifold guard

More
29 Oct 2013 11:49 #88452 by helijohn
How many don't bother to replace this once off - it seems to serve no mechanical purpose like they used to when feeding warm air to the carburettor - or does it serve a valuable purpose?? :unsure:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2013 11:57 - 29 Oct 2013 11:58 #88454 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Trivial question manifold guard
its got a little picture saying "no touchy touchy" so leave that sh#* alone john :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

looks to be a heat shield to stop you touching the manifold or maybe just a thin piece of metal acting as a "sign" to indicate for you not to touch the manifold.

flat surface for cooking bacon on ;)
Last edit: 29 Oct 2013 11:58 by jonesyba420.

More
29 Oct 2013 12:18 #88461 by Busta
It could serve many purposes.

It may be a simple guard to stop you burning your hand, however there's likely more to it than that.
It may reduce under-bonnet temperature by deflecting heat from the exhaust. This could help prolong component life and therefore improve reliability.
It may reduce the build-up of material such as leaves and straw on the exhaust, reducing the chance of a fire.
It may be something as abstract as keeping oil off the manifold if you leave the filler cap off (note the shape of the area surrounding the oil filler, designed to divert spillage away from the manifold).

The same guard is present on FWD cars which use the same engine, where the manifold is the most forward part of the engine, so it may just be a carry-over from that will little significance to the Jimny.

It's unlikely you'd notice any probelms with it removed, but it's there for a reason.

More
29 Oct 2013 12:28 #88466 by helijohn

Busta wrote: It's unlikely you'd notice any probelms with it removed, but it's there for a reason.

Just about every time I have removed it from my other Suzukis I have found a cracked manifold. I was wondering if it created heat build up or something leading to the cracking. On two of my previous Vitaras, a 1990 and a 1992, once I had rerouted the air intake to a bonnet scoop I took the shield off. They were normally aspirated but the thing had served a purpose sending hot air to the intake valve on the filter housing. Same with my SJ but there I had the K&N air filter on top of the carb. As you say, in all cases I never noticed any difference with the cover gone.

More
29 Oct 2013 12:41 #88470 by Busta
It's unlikely that the manifold cracked due to heat build up on the outside. Consider how much hotter it is inside! If anything, heat build up on the outside would reduce the chance of cracking as the temperature difference would be less.

More
29 Oct 2013 17:20 #88490 by kirkynut
As long as there are no components directly above it I really don't think it will matter. If you add things above it - like the Jimnybits Battery tray goes over it to some extent, you may well want it on, but otherwise, if the studs rust and it starts to vibrate - put it in the bin!

I think we all know not to touch a hot engine manifold and if not you'll soon learn!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
29 Oct 2013 18:29 #88503 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: As long as there are no components directly above it I really don't think it will matter. If you add things above it - like the Jimnybits Battery tray goes over it to some extent, you may well want it on, but otherwise, if the studs rust and it starts to vibrate - put it in the bin!

I think we all know not to touch a hot engine manifold and if not you'll soon learn!

Kirkynut

Agreed. ;)

And I can now get to the oil filter more easily - bonus. :laugh:

It went in the bin when I removed it TBH!

Attachments:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2013 19:59 #88521 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Trivial question manifold guard
How close does it sit to the coolent bottle and any pas pipes it there for a resome if its not broke ie loose and rattaling why leave it off you will burn your self once and say why the hell didnt i put that shield back on

More
29 Oct 2013 20:05 #88526 by kirkynut
It's not close enough to anything to make a difference and to be honest Mark, you burn yourself on the shield it gets so hot, so it is kind of pointless!

I wouldn't remove it if there is no reason to do so but if the studs rust out and it starts to vibrate like they do, it's not something that would be missed.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
29 Oct 2013 20:30 #88530 by helijohn
It was rattling the other day cos I had had it off for a looksee and didn't whack it up tight after. :ohmy: It has a warning on it to keep hands off so you gots to avoid it anyway. ;)
It's a good way off other stuff and heat coming off it is pretty intense ; after all it has a little oven under it. :laugh: :laugh:
BTW I am sorry if I get yous two mixed up Kirk and Mark. :blush: :blush:

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2013 20:34 #88532 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Trivial question manifold guard
That heat shield is missing on mine, and has been the whole two and a half years I've had it with no ill effects.

Having said that, if you don't want it I'll take it and the securing bolts off your hands if you'd post them!

More
29 Oct 2013 21:06 #88540 by helijohn

little jimny wrote: That heat shield is missing on mine, and has been the whole two and a half years I've had it with no ill effects.

Having said that, if you don't want it I'll take it and the securing bolts off your hands if you'd post them!

I just binned an SJ one I'd had in the loft for years and years.................if I'd known and if it fitted....... :ohmy:

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds