BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rear Caster bushes

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2013 07:21 #88002 by ritchie
Rear Caster bushes was created by ritchie
Hi

Ive recently lifted my jimny 2.5" and since doing so ive noticed a knocking has developed when on slightly bumby ground. after checking everything over ive noticed my rear radius arm bushes are shot and Im assuming this is the problem. Question is should I just replace them with normal bushes or is it worth fitting caster correction ones to the rear aswell. Ive to do the job and change the bushes anyway (I'm pretty sure standard and correction bushes are the same price) so thought Id ask u guys/girls if theres any benifit in correcting the caster on the rear or is will it have no effect on anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2013 07:25 #88003 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Rear Caster bushes
Yes use castor correction bushes to the rear. To put the diff and springs at a better angle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ritchie

More
26 Oct 2013 07:32 #88004 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Rear Caster bushes
If you dont fit any form of correction, when the rear axle is lower, the nose of the diff is up, so if you fill the diff through the hole in the back, there is less oil in, and the pinion bearing is higher up, so it isn't getting as much oil as before.

Result: the pinion bearings wear faster. You can simply put a lot more oil in to compensate, but it may start to leak out at the axles if you over do it.

However, the propshaft is reasonably in line, and bends at the transfer end, where there is a CV joint.

dropping the nose of the diff with correction bushes fixes the oil problem, but makes the propshaft Z shaped, and will wear the UJ quickly, and produce a knocking from the rear as it trys to straighten out the shaft under load.

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice ;)

I'd let the nose come up on standard bushes, and find a way to sort the oil level.

(It won't affect the steering or brakes anyway, which is why you fit correction at the front)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2013 08:01 #88008 by ritchie
Replied by ritchie on topic Rear Caster bushes

facade wrote: If you dont fit any form of correction, when the rear axle is lower, the nose of the diff is up, so if you fill the diff through the hole in the back, there is less oil in, and the pinion bearing is higher up, so it isn't getting as much oil as before.

Result: the pinion bearings wear faster. You can simply put a lot more oil in to compensate, but it may start to leak out at the axles if you over do it.

However, the propshaft is reasonably in line, and bends at the transfer end, where there is a CV joint.

dropping the nose of the diff with correction bushes fixes the oil problem, but makes the propshaft Z shaped, and will wear the UJ quickly, and produce a knocking from the rear as it trys to straighten out the shaft under load.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ah, well going by what your sayin, in my eyes I think it might be better to use standard bushes and try overcome the oil situation rather than fitting caster correction ones and having a 'Z' shaped prop shaft.
Could maybe fill the boot of sand bags and jack the axle up in such a way to rotate the fill plug to get more oil in or at worse drill and tap a new plug nearer the top.

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2013 08:03 #88009 by ritchie

supergaz wrote: Yes use castor correction bushes to the rear. To put the diff and springs at a better angle.

This is what I was thinking. Never really took the prop into concideration.

More
26 Oct 2013 08:04 - 26 Oct 2013 08:07 #88010 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Rear Caster bushes
I think the uj on the prop will easily handle that amount of lift. Id rather my pinion bearing get the oil.
Also I'd rather replace a uj on the prop than the diff pinion bearing.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2013 08:07 by supergaz.

• ritchie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2013 08:45 #88013 by ritchie
Decision made. I'll go for the correction bushes, the more i think about it I'd have to agree with you, the prop UJ will be fine Im sure because when offroading with no lift the prop must move quite a bit anyway and Ive not lifted anything that much. plus like you say its easier to replace if I needed to.

THANKS

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds