BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

recovery.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2013 10:35 #86633 by jonesyba420
recovery. was created by jonesyba420
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationi go laning on my own (with the misses) quite abit and have been thinking about self recovery as the weather is getting shite, generally you only need to be pulled back a little way to regain traction so im not interested in fitting winches etc.

im thinking either a:

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/recovery/t-max-...m-jack/prod_162.html

which you usually use in conjunction with chains BUT i dont really fancy carrying a load of chain around with me so im wondering if you could use these instead:

one to use as the inital anchor point and the other to hold the vehicle to re adjust the jack for another pull if needed.

combined with:

have to protect the enviroment dont we :)

Or im thinking one of one of these:

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/recovery/t-max-handwinch/prod_165.html

but there only rated to 1600kg???and how big are they?i mean we are limited to space in our wee truck!and no im not taking the rear seats out :laugh:

any views comments are appreciated even if your telling me im an idiot and barking up the wrong tree with the ratchet strap idea :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2013 11:08 #86638 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic recovery.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSomething like this is ideal and very very versatile

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2013 11:16 #86640 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic recovery.
same idea as the tmax i posted a link to. how big are they? is 1600kg enough?

More
17 Oct 2013 12:00 #86645 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic recovery.
Remember you can double the pull by doubling the rope.

So a 1600kg puller can pull 3200kg if the rope is double back on itself.

There is a video from a magazine on Youtube somewhere of them recovering a LandRover with Duct Tape, long strips doubling back on themselves halving the pull each time until the point is reached where the pull required is within the limits of the Duct tape strength.

However using this doubling technique halves the pull speed each time you loop around, therefore it gets painfully slow as the number of loops builds up.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2013 13:15 #86651 by jonesyba420
Very true martin forgot about that.
So for a not to majorly stuck jimny say just grounded out on ruts you wouldnt need to double the line as we only weigh 1100kg and if really stuck double the line?

So how big is one of those tmax hand winches? Is it going to fill the boot?

More
17 Oct 2013 14:15 #86657 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic recovery.
They are quite big when compared to the vast expanse of boot space available in a Jimny with the rear seats still fitted!.

The other trick I was always told was when in doubt, recover backwards. This is because the ground was driveable up until the last moment when you got stuck, therefore in theory the minimun pull distance to get to driveable ground is backwards. Pulling forwards you are going on through the obstacle over ground whos driveability is unknown so you could have a heavy and long pull.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2013 15:58 #86675 by jonesyba420
Agreed,you may only need to be pulled back a foot to then get traction and reverse out and try again. Rather that than pull yourself forward through an obstacle risking getting stuck worse or damaging the vehicle.

I was thinking I could mount the high lift to my roofrack and carry the straps inside a box in the boot.any thoughts on the ratchet strap idea?

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2013 16:40 #86679 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic recovery.
I'd go for the 5 metere strops, the first ones you put up are only realy for tying down onto a trailer
Weve used strops to recover range rovers with out any problems

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2013 16:49 #86682 by jonesyba420
In what way would the strops be used?please enlighten me :) Im talking for self recovery.

More
18 Oct 2013 14:36 #86852 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic recovery.
The limitation with the ratchet straps is you can only get about a foot of pull before the drum is full, and half of that will be taking up the slack. I've recovered a stuck quad with a ratchet strap and it was effective but very time consuming.

The farm jack has similar limitations, is heavy and bulky and needs an assortment of other bits to 'rig' it up.

I'd go for the Tirfor type hand winch because you can get a nice long pull, it's fairly compact and easy to set up. 1600kg is fine for pulling you back out of trouble.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2013 16:17 #86869 by jonesyba420
I think youve slightly mis understood my idea for the ratchet straps, I thought they could be used instead of the chains you generally use in conjunction with a high lift jack as you could ratchet it all tight taking up any slsck rather than the jack taking up the slack first thus maximising the pull you get with the jack.

so it would go tree then ratchet strap to the high lift then tow strap to the jimny, so you would the ratchet the jack to the tree taking up the excess slack then use the full extent of the high lift to winch with.Then if you need to readjust the jack for a second pull you employ the second ratchet strap to hold the jimny like the short chain in a high lift recovery kit.does that make sense?

anyone got a picture of a tirfor winch in the boot of a jimny so I can see how big it is?

More
18 Oct 2013 16:34 #86875 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic recovery.
Reading this with interest cos I reckon you'll end up wanting a bumper mounted winch! ;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds