BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

oil

• owen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2013 19:06 #73188 by owen
oil was created by owen
hi all couple of questions 54 plate mode what oil do i use can i get any sort of workshop manuel and how much for a water pump and a thermostate as ive got overheating issues thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2013 19:17 #73192 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic oil
I use 10w40 semi synthetic in my 2000 twin cam and see no reason for it to be different on a 2004 twin cam or single cam.

For a water pump and Thermostat pop to your local motor factor. Consider the radiator too, whether simply replacing it for about £100 or flushing it through in both directions with a good hose.

Also check your viscous fan's viscous clutch is working as it should - search on here for previous threads on it. Maybe lock it up completely if it's questionable. You might even consider an electric fan replacement but how you'd get it switched at the right temperature I don't know. There are several options which include probes in the coolant and probes in between the radiator fins.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
09 Jun 2013 11:32 #73253 by facade
Replied by facade on topic oil
10/30 preferred in a vvt, they like the thinner oil to make the vvt do its vvt thing.

10/30 is recommended for all jimnys, although the manual allows 10/40. I use 10/40 semi-synthetic as it is easy to get hold of cheaply.

5/30 won't hurt, the first number is the cold cranking resistance.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
10 Jun 2013 21:40 #73454 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic oil
Castrol GTX special offer at Asda again, £12 all grades.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• owen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2013 18:27 #73510 by owen
Replied by owen on topic oil
thanks folks for your help

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds