BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Internal and External cage.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 08:15 - 25 Jul 2013 14:58 #72564 by Smoggy
Internal and External cage. was created by Smoggy
A couple of weeks ago I went to ' my local fabrication guys. They made some cage suggestions for protecting me and my Jimny shell should I tip it over. They recommend linking a full 48mm external 6 point cage to an internal hoop with diagonal and 2x 45 degree stays again with diagonal (design like Renard's). The internal would pass through the floor and be welded directly to the chassis.

This is all great news for strength but I am concerned about the weight and would still like to be able to fit some sort of rear shelf and my recovery box in the rear.

Has anyone out there with an external cage or internal and external linked cage tipped their jimny over as I am intrigued to know how it fared. Like most of you out there I am unlikely to roll the car over and over at high speed as I only do laning and the odd pay and play. Mind you as some of the guys on here will testify I do suffer from the old red mist and have a go attitude when off road :laugh:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 14:58 by mlines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 09:56 #72574 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Internal and External cage.
Take a look at rhino rays cages thay are removable and have a x brace inside

He one had a guy who didnt belive it was upto strenth so while i was there with the owner he rolled it then the guy changed his mind and said it was upto the job lol

Theres so many cages out there its depend how deep ya pockets are but i would weld it to the chassis get a u plate made up that bolt through the chassis but then you have the problem of sealing the cage through the floor to the chassis

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 11:03 - 25 Jul 2013 14:58 #72577 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Internal and External cage.

Smoggy wrote: A couple of weeks ago I went to my local fabrication guys. They made some cage suggestions for protecting me and my Jimny shell should I tip it over. They recommend linking a full 48mm external 6 point cage to an internal hoop with diagonal and 2x 45 degree stays again with diagonal (design like Renard's). The internal would pass through the floor and be welded directly to the chassis.

This is all great news for strength but I am concerned about the weight and would still like to be able to fit some sort of rear shelf and my recovery box in the rear.

Has anyone out there with an external cage or internal and external linked cage tipped their jimny over as I am intrigued to know how it fared. Like most of you out there I am unlikely to roll the car over and over at high speed as I only do laning and the odd pay and play. Mind you as some of the guys on here will testify I do suffer from the old red mist and have a go attitude when off road :laugh:

As others and myself have written in others threads. RR looks a bit Agricultural. Don't know if looks are of any concern to you.
Lots of external rollcages are fitted 20-30 cm away from the body, which looks pretty silly if you ask me. Have also seen external cages with a much tighter fit, but not many of them, so don't know who makes these.

But The only cage that does what a cage is supposed to, protecting the driver, is an internal cage with diagonal tubing. I know that ORA are planning on doing an internal cage later this year. But perhaps Rob can give more info on this?

I'd try ORA first. Their designs are far superior to what RR makes.

You could also consider an OMP cage or the internal cage from KAP.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 14:58 by mlines.

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 15:36 #72599 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic Internal and External cage.
iv got a KAP cage its very heavy to the point where 50mph is flat out any incline and you're in 4th gear and even on a quick gear change your at 40mph be time you're in 4th but i looks very neat cage sits so tight to the body that the roof rails have been removed worth looking in to but not cheap

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 16:53 #72604 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Internal and External cage.
That Jimny is awesome. 3.9l V8 :ohmy:

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 17:30 #72609 by RichiesJimny
Replied by RichiesJimny on topic Internal and External cage.
Make me laugh when I see people saying rhinorays gear is agricultural it seems people are forgetting their driving a jimny which is basically an updated samurai and not a modern highly sophisticated sports car :laugh: :laugh:

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 19:39 #72626 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Internal and External cage.
here's kirkynut's jimny when it ended on its side
the only damage was to the front wing

Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2013 20:28 - 03 Jun 2013 20:31 #72643 by kirkynut
Yes, the only damage was to the front wing, just some light crinkling from ruts that unfortunately the front driver's side wing was leaning on as it was slightly past the point of just laying on it's side but nowhere near going all the way over if you know what I mean!

You can see the guilty driver in the photo looking at what she had done!

What you have to remember is that this was a very, very slow plop on it's side. The cage did flex and just kiss the bodywork as there are witness marks on the paint. It flexed because it is just two loops going from the welded on rocksliders over the roof and down the other side, so it can pivot on the rocksliders as the tubing bends - which it would do as that's what metal does!

When the car came back on it's wheels - having been winched back using the cage to do so, it sprang back to it's original position bar the odd couple of mm.

If you put an internal hoop inside with a single cross bar in the centre that can be removable and that internal hoop is mounted to the chassis and both the internal and external cages are connected together by sandwich plates on the roof or whatever other clever means you may have, you will have a cage system that protects both you and the bodywork.

Cages are heavy though and Jimny's are not powerful machines.

So you have to make your choice with this all in mind.

If mine had gone all the way over would the external cage have pushed into the body and caused as much damage as if I hadn't got one - at that speed I doubt it.

I know that when I decided to get a cage I accepted it was for rubbing on trees to stop me caving the side of the car in on trees. I was told by it's maker that it was only strong enough for that purpose. The fact it did so well in the picture above is testament to his work.

Mine is linked to the roof by the original roof rail mounting studs, which I think to some extent kept it away from the body as the shell and cage moved together but they are only small studs so you can't expect too much out of them.

It's all a compromise and you just have to decide which way you want that compromise to go, make the choice and pay your money for it.

kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 20:31 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smoggy

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 20:35 #72644 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Internal and External cage.
Kirky what diameter is the tubing on your cage please?

More
03 Jun 2013 20:45 - 03 Jun 2013 20:50 #72650 by kirkynut
40mm external diameter with just over 1mm of paint!!!!!!!

3mm wall thickness but it is seamed given it's intended use as mentioned above.

kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 20:50 by kirkynut.

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 21:26 - 25 Jul 2013 14:57 #72662 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic Internal and External cage.
smoggy get it traybacked and build the cage like on the one from there that car is lovely!,

mount your spare on the cage with other bits and bobs and have a lockable chest in the back for laning~

if i had a couple of grand spare i'd hand my car to them and say build a copy
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 14:57 by mlines.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2013 21:51 #72668 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Internal and External cage.

Smoggy wrote: Kirky what diameter is the tubing on your cage please?

If you want to do it right. You'll need to use CDS 48 mm tubing. Can't remember if it's 2 or 2,5 mm wall thinkness.

But Kirkynut is spot-on. It's all about what the intended use is. But I wouldn't settle for anything less than 48mm CDS tube for internal cage. Safety above all.

My point with some of the external cage is that many of them stick out in a way that makes the jimny almost as wide as a LR Defender. Which makes no sense to me with such a cage, as the small size and weight of the jimny is its greatest force :)

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds