BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New to jimny mods worth doing

• Dalby
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2013 21:49 - 29 May 2013 21:50 #72162 by Dalby
New to jimny mods worth doing was created by Dalby
Hi I have a 2001 soft top jimny want to keep it fairly driveable on the road but capable offroad too and looking good

I'm thinking of doing 2" lift to keep costs down , is it worth getting longer brake hoses and remove front anti roll bar

Also going to buy some weller looking wheels of ebay 15" x 7" 5/139 - ET - 0 White 8 Spoke wheel
Will they fit on without the lift for the moment ?

Also was thinking of getting some marix puma tyres as they are fairly cheap for a set they come in 205 70 15 which is the same size as my tyres will this look odd ? Also will they fit the wheels above ok

Also was thinking some 30mm spacers would I then need extension arches with wheels above and also any idea if wheels and tyres would fit on until I got the 2" lift

I was aiming for that for the minute but have seen you can lift the bodie is this a lot of work also I guess you have to extend steering brake hoses what else is required

Also was thinking of extending breathers off diffs just in case have to encounter and deep puddles lol

Any thing else worth doing ?

Thanks
Last edit: 29 May 2013 21:50 by Dalby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2013 09:03 #72191 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic New to jimny mods worth doing
Hello Dalby, with a 2" suspension lift you don't need extended brake lines.
Also keep your front anti roll bar mounted !!
What i did there is put a selfmade "spacer" around 20mm between the body and the bar!
That results in less stress onto the anti roll bar.
My Jimny has the 2" Trailmaster Stage II "Sport" suspension lift.... worth every penny !!!
Roadhandeling very good and in Offroad very very good !!!
Also have the Trailmaster Steering Dampener give's me a smoother steering.
Tires are BF GOODRICH KM2 215/75/15 for me the ideal tire for road en off-road use.
If i where you i only put 15 mm spacers on, gives you in total a 3cm wider track between the wheels and this will give lesser stress onto your drivetrain then a 6 cm width!
You will need extended brake lines once you go over 2", for example : when you want to put rear shock relocators on then you have your original brake line that will be stretcht at it maximum so... dangerous.
For your idea to put extended breather lines there i would say: when you did do an offroad trip and drove trough mud puddles then give your Jimny a good clean underneath with a high pressure washer and get yourself under the car and feel if your breathers (only the top of them offcourse) are sitting loose, that will do the job.
When you drive on regular bases trough deep mudholes where your tyres are completely submerged then i would think it's better to put extended breather lines, but you will have more an "oily" smell into your car.

• Dalby
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2013 17:13 #72215 by Dalby
Replied by Dalby on topic New to jimny mods worth doing
cheers for that info cleared everything up :cheer:

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2013 21:53 #72258 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic New to jimny mods worth doing
wellers are pretty offset from what i've seen, doubt you'll need spacers too!

• Dalby
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2013 22:02 #72260 by Dalby
I was thinking this too cheers mate

More
31 May 2013 09:09 #72291 by maverick
Forget all that - put a Lockrite in the rear diff and get some decent tyres ...

In my opinion, Tyres and Locker is the most "cost effective" two change you can do to your Jimny to make it go anywhere - always remember that "Traction is King"

Locker is about £200
Tyres about £65 a corner

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
31 May 2013 16:41 #72323 by supergaz
As Maverick say's fit a Locker! Even when cross axle'd you always will have a rear wheel with traction on the ground.
The Lockright is the most valuable and effective and simple modification to make.

I believe the rear locker avoids you going with foot to the floor in some circumstances thus reduction of blown front CV's and halfshafts.

Also before you start modifications decide what you want from your jimny from Long distance journeys, greenlaning and playdays.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2013 18:21 - 31 May 2013 18:24 #72332 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic New to jimny mods worth doing
It's like Supergaz and Maverick said, a rear-diff locker is one of the most interresting mod's that you can do, together with good offroad tyres.
I also did put a Centreforce Dual Friction Clutch, that gives me much more grip then the standard clutch.
I have a ARB-locker in the rear diff, very satisfied with this choice!

In the picture you see how i changed the interior and mounted a little compressor for the ARB-locker and possibility to blow the tyres.

Also an interior roll-over bar (an exterior is not allowed by Belgian MOT).
Fitted the spare wheel at the inside, like this there is less weight on my back door and behind the rear wheels.
When not offroading i still can put the backseats in, and then i put the spare wheel back on the backdoor in about 15 minutes.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2013 18:24 by JuanGuillie.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2013 20:22 #72992 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic New to jimny mods worth doing
surely putting a Lockrite locker on makes it all abit mental to drive on the road especially in the wet as you effectively have a permanently locked rear diff?! which is what you want in a car for drifting!

as the jimny is quite interesting to drive in the wet weather/snow etc is this really a good option?correct me if im wrong obviously:)

i agree with fitting decent tires which is something ill do before winter/mud arrives again as traction is everything;)

unless your fitting huge wheels and tires is there really much point lifting it?! mines still standard suspension wise and i haven't had any issues green laning only been stuck once and that was more due to driver error (didnt get over far enough to miss some seriously deep rutts which were full of very gloopy mud sat it on the bottom of the front shock so wasnt going anywhere) they are surprisingly capable in stock form.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2013 21:15 #73010 by jonesyba420
if you decide to extend your breathers check out this: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...t/49497-transfer-box

• Dalby
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2013 21:23 #73012 by Dalby
Cheers mate yer I'm just thinking about putting some tyres on now as like someone said on here a lift is pointless without bigger wheels as ur lowest point are the diffs and without bigger wheels ur not realy giving it more clearance I see a jimny with a body and suspension lift did look cool though lol

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2013 21:29 #73015 by jonesyba420
that is true, the only way to get more ground clearance is with bigger and tires. ive got standard 15" wheels with 195 80 15 tires which are taller than the stock rubber thus giving abit more clearance.

straddle the rutts made by landys and all's good (generally speaking)!!!

Dalby, check your other post about anyone from suffolk;)

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds