BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cumbria - Green Lane Mapping

More
22 May 2013 11:39 #71371 by maverick
Not an 'online mapping service' like in Cheshire and Derbyshire, but in my opinion what Cumbria supply is far superior to any other Council i have ever come across!!

I have done most (about 90%) of the LEGAL Byways and UCRs in Cumbria - just the North Cumbrian Lanes to go visit :)

Cumbria Green Laning

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2013 19:22 #71410 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Cumbria - Green Lane Mapping
This is brilliant well done Maverick.

More
23 May 2013 09:22 #71436 by maverick
i don't do sand (anymore) ...

A few years ago, I did a Pay 'n' Play site in Bromsgrove that was in an old Sand Quarry ...

The day cost me:

1) £100 in fuel to get there and back
2) £25 to get in
3) A new Alternator
4) A new Starter Motor
5) New Disc Pads
6) New Front Discs
7) New Rear Shoes
8) New Rear Drums
9) New UJs all around

Never, ever again will I drive on sand ...

Oh, and Morecambe Bay is where those Chise Cockle pickers died ... nuff said!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
23 May 2013 09:28 - 23 May 2013 10:56 #71437 by maverick

nicho wrote: ta for posting.have you done the one across Morecambe bay :unsure: :woohoo: :silly:

just found some info on it.
'The longest road of its kind is the old coach road across Morecambe Bay (also shown on the OS 1:50k as a BOAT - how appropriate - Where of course you are at considerably greater risk from the incoming tide: it comes in fast (because of the much greater distance between high and low tide marks), and you are a long way from land. The OS map has a warning "Public Rights of Way across Morecambe Bay can be Dangerous - seek local guidance"!!'

In my opinion, I do not and would not give out mapping information out on this site. If people want to go find the mapping references they can (like you did).

My feeling is that is that someome might 'blame you' if they get prosecuted or get stuck, or god forbid die and their relatives want to know, as it was you who put the grid references on public bulletin board ... if you take time and look at the Cumbria website there is a nice disclaimer for recreational driving on its highways.

Just my opinion, thats all. ... Loose Lips cost ships.

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 23 May 2013 10:56 by maverick.

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2013 09:44 #71440 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic Cumbria - Green Lane Mapping
good point now removed ta

More
23 May 2013 11:45 - 23 May 2013 11:49 #71450 by Rhinoman
I worked up at Barrow for a while, staying at a small village out along the bay. I asked the locals about that byway across the bay and was warned against it - it is by all accounts very treacherous. I was up there not long after the incident with the cockle-pickers so I decided against trying it.
You'd also be wading through salt water which is likely to get into all the body cavities, not good for the long term health of your car.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
Last edit: 23 May 2013 11:49 by Rhinoman.

More
23 May 2013 21:13 #71503 by Basketcase
Have you seen the rnli jimnys? They're 10reg's and run like a sack of sh1t but the bodywork and underneath is all fine on them

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds