BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Transfer box

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 May 2013 21:31 - 03 May 2013 21:53 #69946 by jonesyba420
Transfer box was created by jonesyba420
Basically Im fitting breather lines and the one on the top of the transfer box is virtually impossible to get to! is it possible to drop/lower the transfer box slightly to ease access?or does anyone have any helpful tips?don't particularly want to remove it completely but want to finish the job as i've done the diffs

Also i seem to only be able to locate one breather on the transfer box, the one that's on the top near where the lever goes through. is there only one or two? my jimny is a stock manual 2002 model with the DOHC cam engine.

laning monday with some fords involved so want to complete the job tomorrow so please help fast:)

Ive been following this guide www.danbp.org/w/Extending_the_breathers_of_the_Suzuki_Jimny. my transfer box doesn't look like this, i'm guessing that this is a newer one with the push button 4wheel drive selector as there seems to be no lever going through the floor.
Last edit: 03 May 2013 21:53 by jonesyba420. Reason: more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2013 22:57 #69950 by gus2000
Replied by gus2000 on topic Transfer box
I'm working on it :) , I'm not finished yet. :dry:

some pictures

I hope to be useful :)

The tests are performed in a t-case that I have outside the jimny

Breather size t-case in mm

Gustavo

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 07:59 #69959 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Transfer box
is that for the breather on top of the transfer box? the one near the selector lever? do you know if its possible to drop the transfer box a little bit without removing it to allow better access?

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 08:33 #69962 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Transfer box
hi,yes you can drop the transfere box to make it easyer just make sure you support it with something depending where your doing it ie a jack or gearbox stand,if you have a look in my jimny and look at my thread ive got a couple of pics up of where ive done my breathers hope this helps.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 09:54 #69966 by jonesyba420
hi thanks for the response, what do i need to undo to drop the box?i dont want to completely remove it, doing it all on my drive with axle stands and a jack:) ive already removed the 4x4 selector gator as though it might give more access but still looks impossible. any help is greatly appreciated as im tryin to get it done by monday!

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 11:45 #69975 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Transfer box
Surport on a jack Undo the mounts off the t box and chassis and lower it all down

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 13:35 #69983 by jonesyba420
so looking from the back to the front youve got 4bolts on the left in a square and 4on the right in a square, both sides bolt the box to another 2 mounts which then bolt to the chassis via rubber blocks, first question do you only remove the 2 sets of 4 on each side or do you remove the ones that mount the box "mounts" to the chassis aswell (with the rubber blocks)? ive managed to slacken the left 4 bolts to the chassis mount and 3 of the 4 on the right but cant seem to get to the last one (bottom right bolt if you were looking from the side so furthest one if your looking from the back)! any tips?

also should i have one or two breathers on the transfer box? i can only see one and thats on the top behind the lever. and is there one on the gearbox? i heard somewhere that they already have one but couldnt seem to find it?

my jimny is a manual 2002 DOHC.

cheers for the help so far people.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 14:15 #69985 by jonesyba420
easier said than done have now given up as ive been under my jimny since half9 and have achieved nothing other than a loss of skin and patients! try again another day thats IF i can raise the enthusiasm. keep the tips and advise coming tho as i will be needing it again soon:)

Pic of my Jimny for you all to see.

Attachments:

More
05 May 2013 07:08 #70027 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Transfer box

markyp2000 wrote: Surport on a jack Undo the mounts off the t box and chassis and lower it all down

Pah! Jacks are for wimps! Bench press it with your left arm undoing the nuts with your right hand or vice versa if left handed and re fitting is the reverse of removal as Haynes say. They never mention the hours you have to spend battling rusty fixings though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 May 2013 07:37 #70030 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Transfer box

kirkynut wrote:

markyp2000 wrote: Surport on a jack Undo the mounts off the t box and chassis and lower it all down

Pah! Jacks are for wimps! Bench press it with your left arm undoing the nuts with your right hand or vice versa if left handed and re fitting is the reverse of removal as Haynes say. They never mention the hours you have to spend battling rusty fixings though!

Kirkynut

Haha, I just bench press it and I have dislocated my shoulder 17 times, had corrective surgery which leaves me with less than 50% movement, but still I think nothing of dropping my transferbox still full of oil.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2013 11:47 #70041 by jonesyba420
Gaz3359- ive looked at your pictures got a few questions for you. has you got 1 or 2 breathers on your transfer box? i can only seem to see 1 on mine! ive now managed to get the top one on (one the with the springy valve cap) was a complete mission, just got to put the t joint in then thats done but i need help finding the other one if i have one, mines a 2002 manual. dont want to put it back together untill im certain. had to drop the transfer box and sort of twist it round to gain access;)

ended up doing the bench press routine as suggested to manhandle the t-box, pure man power is all thats needed!

cheers for the continued help.

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2013 12:15 #70042 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Transfer box
Sounds like your getting there,they are a pain but once its done its done,my jim is a 2000 x plate with the m13a,i only had 1 breather on my transfer box,but there is also one pictured on top of the gearbox aswell.also a bit of a pain to get at.hope this helps

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds