BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

inverter for compressor idea?

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 21:13 #62034 by jimnybob
inverter for compressor idea? was created by jimnybob
im in a debate with myself as to whether i buy an arb compressor setup or run an inverter to a workshop compressor setup? im favouring inverter to workshop compressor as it will be easier and be able to run air tool more efficiently for farm work, but im not sure how (if possible) to connect to arb diff lockers im looking in to buying. cheers guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 21:17 #62038 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic inverter for compressor idea?
It should work all you need to know is what psi the arb requires and run a regulator on the feed line

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 21:36 #62048 by jimnybob
Replied by jimnybob on topic inverter for compressor idea?

reaper wrote: It should work all you need to know is what psi the arb requires and run a regulator on the feed line

so in the air line that goes to the locker put a regulator that only lets the required amount of air to the locker? this will still allow the air compressor to fully charge without damaging the locker?

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 21:39 #62051 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic inverter for compressor idea?
Yes you have a received bottle that holds the pressure from the compressor and that has a limit switch built in

More
10 Feb 2013 22:05 #62058 by mlines
The problem will be the current that the workshop compressor needs.

The lowest wattage around is the Clarke Mini Air compressor at 99Watts

Other motors are rated in Horsepower and 1HP = 745 Watts.

Small compressors are 1.5 HP and larger DIY ones are 2 or 2.5 HP so between 1000 and 1800watts

The cheapest 2Kw Inverter on Amazon is £160 so an inverter is not a cheap way of doing it.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 22:18 #62061 by jimnybob
is that an official conversion 1hp = 745watts? if so thats handy to know :) it might be for me as all i need is the inverter

More
10 Feb 2013 22:36 - 10 Feb 2013 22:36 #62068 by mlines
It is but you need to allow for losses in the system. I would guess that a 1HP motor would draw more than that electricity just due to being inefficient, equally the inverter manufacturers are hopeful with their ratings. The one I looked at on Amazon said 2kw continuous but I would never like to run something at near to its maximum rating on a continuous basis.

And remember what this equates to on the low voltage side of the inverter. If you have a 2HP compressor thats 1400Watts, lets say 1800 Watts for real. On the low voltage side 1800Watts is 1800/13 = 138 Amps - which is pretty much a cable melting level.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 22:36 by mlines.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 22:44 #62072 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic inverter for compressor idea?
As Martin has very well exsplained forget running a 240v compressor via a inverter would be a horrible set up i paid £100 for a ARB comp with diff lock and compressor switches

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 22:44 #62073 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic inverter for compressor idea?
you could just fit a big tank and charge it up before you go out

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2013 08:19 #62104 by jimnybob
Yeah I spose it would be prone to melting something under the bonnet. If I get an arb pump would someone be able to help me with fitting a tank pwease? I've got a fire extinguisher that I could use.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds