BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny ... itching to go!

• styks08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 19:36 - 10 Feb 2013 19:38 #62004 by styks08
New Jimny ... itching to go! was created by styks08
Hi.
I'm new here, so hello all.

I have had a Jimny before but it was quite new and I left it be.
I now have another just bought from my old Dad, an older 2001 model only done 40,000 and in good nick.
Not sure which engine other than it's DOHC.

Where is the stamp for G13BB or the newer one, M13AA ? ......... I can't remember.

Anyhow, typical new modders questions to ask.
After quite a bit of searching and considering my budget I've opted to fit (for now!) Jimnybits spring spacers for 1.5" lift, pro-comp or Rough country shocks (not sure which one's with that small lift??) , rear shock repositioners, 32mm wheel spacers. Oh and a rough country steering damper.

At the moment this will be 75% road 25% off road ..... I'm not planning to do anything extreme just yet so a slight lift / improvement off road will suffice, will what I've listed above give me that ok ?

Do you think I could get 225 tyres on it with that lift? ........... I'm a little concerned about gearing, I want to be able to climb steep gradients but can't afford to go the RockLobster transfer box route just yet.

I'll be using a hand winch and Hi-Lift jack for recovery, where's best to attach for winching at front and rear, recovery hooks best fitted where? .......... Rock sliders will be fitted asap also.

Any comments, suggestions, tips etc ...... Anything that's a must I've missed?

It will be nice to get back into Off Roading again, I used to love it in my old Series 3 LR, Lada Niva and the last was a Vitara 10 years ago ... Now it will be interesting to see what a lightly modded Jimny can do! .. ;)

Steve ..... North Wales.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 19:38 by styks08.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 19:43 #62007 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic New Jimny ... itching to go!
Welcome to the forum steve :-)
Bits4vits are doing a nice budget lift 1-3/4" this is 4x spring spacers rear shock brackets and extenders for the front shocks ,
Thing is you say ''for now''
You will save yourself alot of money and time if you decide where you want to end and build it with that in mind

More
10 Feb 2013 20:41 #62024 by fast forward
hi welcome to the forum , ;)

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

• styks08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 23:22 - 10 Feb 2013 23:28 #62088 by styks08
Replied by styks08 on topic New Jimny ... itching to go!
Cheers fast forward, thanks for the welcome!

Thanks reaper. ........... Yes I know what your saying, only trouble is reaper what I would eventually really like to end up with is a high spec off road machine ! :) .. What I dream of is unlikely and tbh if I could afford that I would no doubt order a custom Ibex! ............. What would we guys do with a lottery win hey?

No seriously, what I would like eventually and would be comfortably within my grasp, in time, is a 2 or 2 1/2" proper lift, turning as large a tyres as comfortable, as much articulation as possible and the gearing to use it effectively. Steel rear end, steel winch bumper and winch, rock sliders, a bit of underbelly protection, good lights and my tent or hammock thrown in the back!!. That's about it really, oh possibly rear diff lock.
I need to research, ask a lot of questions and build a list before I start accumulating parts. Once I have all the parts I will do the build in one go. .... That's the plan.

In the meantime I want to play off road quite cheaply. I guess if I get the right shocks now those could be reused, is that possible? Buying them now to cover this cheap 1.5" lift but be usable with a 2 or 2.5" lift later on?

I welcome your comments / thoughts
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 23:28 by styks08.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 23:24 #62089 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: New Jimny ... itching to go!
Welcome. Like you, my list of Jimny "wants and needs" is growing! But I am going to go for spacers for a mild lift and slightly bigger tyres. Keep it simple and low cost.

• styks08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2013 20:06 #62177 by styks08
Thank you GuardianAngel. .... I plan to keep it simple for now, later who knows!

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2013 20:17 #62183 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic New Jimny ... itching to go!
Welcome this fine forum it’s good to have you join us ................ ;)

• styks08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2013 09:27 #62348 by styks08
Thank you Tadpole, it's good to be here!

• karlrob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2013 10:25 #62351 by karlrob
Replied by karlrob on topic New Jimny ... itching to go!
Hi mate I've got a bits 4 vits 1.5 lift kit for sale if you're interested mate, it's a cracking kit if you're on a budget. See my posts for the pics mate. Cheers Karl

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds