BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Non running Jimny

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 10:17 #61868 by Chriscov1988
Non running Jimny was created by Chriscov1988
Going to look at one this morning as my old man is after one. I know it's hard to say but what do you think one would be worth with the engine knackered in it? Apparently the "oil pump failed so the engine has gone". We're thinking of just buying it and then waiting for an engine to come along and doing it that way. It's got a small lift on it and some decent tyres. Why do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 10:40 #61869 by Chriscov1988
Replied by Chriscov1988 on topic Non running Jimny
And any idea what a second hand engine would cost for a 98?

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 10:46 #61870 by RichiesJimny
Replied by RichiesJimny on topic Non running Jimny
Before you go and look at it check how much you would have to pay for a jimny of the same age in similar condition,ebay completed listings is a good place to check what they actually sell for. Once you know how much a running car would cost to buy check how much an engine would cost you and work out how much it would cost you to repair the none runner. Once you have an idea of repair costs add that to the purchase price of the none runner it could well be the same as you would pay for a car that doesn't need any work.
I see lots of cars sold as none runners on ebay that fetch the same sort of money as running cars. :)

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 10:48 #61871 by RichiesJimny
Replied by RichiesJimny on topic Non running Jimny

Chriscov1988 wrote: And any idea what a second hand engine would cost for a 98?

Check on ebay

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 11:00 #61872 by Chriscov1988
Completed listings was a good idea thanks. It's weird though because there has been a 2001 completely running sell for £970. And then there is a standard 2002 needing a new engine selling for £1000. Not sure on this one for £600 now.

More
10 Feb 2013 11:05 #61873 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Non running Jimny
An engine supplied & fitted is about £1000 if you can find someone with a good single cam engine - they are like rocking horse droppings :unsure:

If you can source an engine for £300 , and get the car for £1000 less than a runner, and fit the engine yourself you could save £700, me I'd rather pay £1000 more for one that needs no work.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 11:11 #61874 by Chriscov1988
Item number is 251225192823 of anyone wants a look.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 11:25 #61880 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Non running Jimny
have you bought it ???

be cheaper to get a 1.6 engine for it or convert to deisel

• Chriscov1988
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 11:30 #61881 by Chriscov1988
Not bought it yet. The winning bidder was a messer so he's offered me it for 600 but still not sure.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 11:39 #61884 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Non running Jimny
i saw it when it was listed on ebay but decided against it not worth it to me with the price & cost to get it & engine

if your local & good with engines capable of fitting a 1.6 or deisel then its prob not a bad buy as it hard to find a standard g13bb engine at a reasonable price

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds