BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Upgrade to facelift??

• Wan18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 14:52 #61112 by Wan18
Upgrade to facelift?? was created by Wan18
Hi there
About to purchase a jimny(2001) and I can't wait to spend all my cash on this little beast.
I was just wondering if it is possible to upgrade the old model to a newer facelift model, bumpers, steering wheel, seats ect, I understand all I not possible like with dash but is there any one out there who has done an upgrade

Many thanks guys

New to the forum so my apologies if this was a bit of a stupid question

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 15:20 #61115 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Upgrade to facelift??
Excuse me for askin, but why would you want to upgrade a 2001 model to a present model? Surely the hard earns cash would be better spent on lifts, decent tyres, winch, etc.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 15:25 #61119 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Upgrade to facelift??

wanderinstar wrote: Excuse me for askin, but why would you want to upgrade a 2001 model to a present model? Surely the hard earns cash would be better spent on lifts, decent tyres, winch, etc.

Not if it's meant as a pavement princess B)

• Wan18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 15:59 #61121 by Wan18
Replied by Wan18 on topic Upgrade to facelift??
Lol a pavement princess is the best thing I've heard, unfortunately I would love to beef the jimny up however it will only be used for light off roading. The Missis has to use it to and she is not a fan of the monster look, i know this seems pointless and probably the money I spend on the upgrade I could spend on the newer model, however there is some method in my madness, insurance played a massive part as they always do with my age generation, a 2001 model compared to a 06 model was a massive differnce so an old jimny it is however I do prefer the looks of the newer model, once again if anyone knows i would greatly thankful :)

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 16:04 #61122 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Upgrade to facelift??
Considering how much you'll spend on parts, how much you'll spend on labour, add the fact you'll have a somewhat tough time selling the old parts ... it's probably simpler (and cheaper) to buy the facelifted Jimny directly, if looks bother you.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 16:12 #61125 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Upgrade to facelift??
I would insist on my missus riding my monster....oh wait....thats a different forum :oops:

• Wan18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 16:20 #61126 by Wan18
Parts I don't mind spending the money as for labour I would be doing it myself as for a hobby and something to do, as for the old parts none would be sold but stored in the workshop, I'm always buying bits from scrap yards to practice either spraying or flocking anything to learn and have fun, I also think it would be a nice simpleish project.
I understand this is probably the most pointless thing to do however it's not about the money or time its just doing something I love to do in the afternoon. I remember my friend upgraded his freelander to a facelift model and thought it looked like I good thing to do, beats watching the soaps and other naff on the telly

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 18:44 #61148 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Upgrade to facelift??
There may be some minor differences with mounting points etc but nothing you carnt get around , also in your original post you mentioned the dash ....well it has been done by a member of this very forum , problem is i carnt remember who lol
Its your jimny do whatever you want to it no ideas are stupid if its gaining you something you want :-)

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 19:01 #61151 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Upgrade to facelift??
The new new facelift does look more macho lol

But the parts will be very difficult to source

• Wan18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 19:08 #61154 by Wan18
I did imagine the mounting points would be differnt, just making sure it would fit under the bonnet correctly with no gaps, I guess the dash would fit I was just thinking about the 4wd buttons but I would love to of seen pics of the other guys dash, I will have to troll threw older post, do you know if the steering wheel would change easily enough or is it much more complicated??

Loving your jimny tried convincing the other half but she wernt having any if it my little boy on the other hand loved and said I should by it lol

More
06 Feb 2013 19:09 #61155 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Upgrade to facelift??
I think the arch liners are different and also the end of the chassis/crumple zone so you would have to space it out a bit. As for steering wheel you'd need to check the wiring for the airbag as I tried upgrading my early grey wheel to a black leather one but the airbag connection was different. I didn't fancy cutting the plugs off and swapping them!

Seats etc are fine to do.

If you do go for it I'll buy your front bumper ;)

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 19:20 #61158 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Upgrade to facelift??

Wan18 wrote: I did imagine the mounting points would be differnt, just making sure it would fit under the bonnet correctly with no gaps, I guess the dash would fit I was just thinking about the 4wd buttons but I would love to of seen pics of the other guys dash, I will have to troll threw older post, do you know if the steering wheel would change easily enough or is it much more complicated??

Loving your jimny tried convincing the other half but she wernt having any if it my little boy on the other hand loved and said I should by it lol

Bring her for a test drive and you will convince her :-)
My wife loves it she says its much better than our standard one we used to have :-)

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds