BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

HID light kits

• badboy-jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2013 22:55 #60477 by badboy-jimny
HID light kits was created by badboy-jimny
Im sure someone has fitted a light kit on here, im just looking around for the best kit. Iv spotted a few on ebay but really wanted to ask those fellow jimny nuts which they have fitted and where from. Aldo im goin to try my hand at a light bar for the roof. Any advice on that also?

Thanks jimny friends

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2013 23:14 #60482 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic HID light kits
hid's are now illegal unless fitted As std and vehical is fitted with head light washers and self leveling head lights

More
01 Feb 2013 00:44 #60494 by gus2000
Replied by gus2000 on topic HID light kits
You need bigger light... :)

Install relays and wires with more section

;)

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC

• badboy-jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 08:07 #60506 by badboy-jimny
Replied by badboy-jimny on topic HID light kits
What illegal as in fail an MOT or as in police pulling you over? The police aint very strict here where I work thats all.
Thanls for replies fellas

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 09:20 - 01 Feb 2013 09:25 #60510 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic HID light kits
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationtry some osram night breaker plus bulbs - give 90% more light than a standard H4 bulb
my son has put them on his mini and they are really bright and a whiter light than a standard bulb

make sure you get the plus, the ordinary nightbreaker don't give the extra light output
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 09:25 by darthloachie.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 10:48 #60520 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic HID light kits
You want to put HID light bulbs in your car headlamps or in offroad lights (roof mounted) ?

If it's the first option, there's not much to it; the chinese HIDs come in plenty of choices. You'll need a "H4 bi-xenon" kit, which only has one bulb. There's a switching box provided with the HID kit which will connect to one of your old headlight connectors to receive input from the dash switch when you turn on the high beams. The other headlight connector will remain unused. One fused wire from the battery, one ground ... and that's pretty much all.

Considering the space available in the engine compartment, definitely get slim-sized ballasts.

As for brand/choice, don't bother. Buy whatever you find, it's all chinese-made and the writing on the package doesn't matter. A buddy imported them directly from China at some point, and the chinese asked: what do you want to have written on the packaging - Bosch, Hella, Philips ? Just be prepared to have spare bulbs and spare ballasts until you find one brand which lasts longer than the others :)

As for the usefulness... first of all, yes it's illegal. Second of all (and I'm not saying this because I own a Jimny, it's a neutral opinion): the Jimny headlights work pretty nice on HID bulbs. Some other cars look terrible and scatter light everywhere. If you get them in 4300 K, it's hard to notice you have HIDs anyway - they look almost like regular bulbs. 6000 K it looks a bit better, the road markings/signs look "crisp", but they are tiring in long distance night driving.

And now, if it's for the offroad lights - there are some cheapish chinese lights with HID ballasts built-in (round with a red ring), they're quite nicely built.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 10:49 #60521 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic HID light kits
You'll just upset other road users with those silly HID lights. :angry:
Off white light shinning everywhere and not really penetrating for the amount of light emitted.

If fitted as standard, fine but these kits are a waste of money as well as bl00dy annoying. :angry:

Get a set of good bulbs as darth says, so much better. :)

Anyway, it's not as if you need that much power for a Jim. ;)

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 11:34 #60527 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic HID light kits
Thanks Darth. I was looking for a recommended light upgrade and your suggestion seems the most reasonable and effective. eBay here I come (yet again). :-)

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 20:48 #60606 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic HID light kits

badboy-jimny wrote: What illegal as in fail an MOT or as in police pulling you over? The police aint very strict here where I work thats all.
Thanls for replies fellas

as in MOT fail

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 21:31 #60614 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic HID light kits
Thay only fail the mot on dip beam but a the end of the day i dont care if car have hids fitted that i mot cos id just say it had normal bulbs in at time of test if any one complained about it and as long as its got ether head lamp level adjusters or head lamp washers

More
01 Feb 2013 21:33 #60616 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic HID light kits
i have hid bi-xenon ebay kit in my jimny and the reason they should fail an mot is that the pattern off them is wrong all id say is just swap the bulbs to standard for the mot or find a friendy garage thst wont mind the headlight aim patter to be wrong ;) the hid kit i got was just the cheapest h4 hid kit i could find off ebay think it was from hong kong for around £35 delivered

• badboy-jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2013 07:42 #60621 by badboy-jimny
Replied by badboy-jimny on topic HID light kits
Thanks for all the replies folks, I just fancy so.ething brighter as I have got spot lights for extra flood lights fitted as yet. Ill have a look on ebay perhaps try the bulbs as im going to eventually fit a light bar or several large spot lights.
As for annoying other road users.....most audi lights blind me as do ranges and boy racers so they can all have some of my bright lights!

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds