BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
26 Jul 2021 21:51 - 26 Jul 2021 21:51 #237019 by Dirtbird
Taking my Chassis to the Shot blaster'er .....

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jul 2021 21:51 by Dirtbird.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2021 07:51 #237022 by Roger Fairclough
Are you getting it galvanized?

You know you want to.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
27 Jul 2021 12:51 - 27 Jul 2021 12:53 #237030 by yakuza

Galvanizing can warp frames. Most likely only soft and rotten US ones bur be aware. Friend of mine did His CJ5 frame, and it was fine.

But! I changed my clutch wire! Wow!
Amazing how it was seemingly ok but the difference is astonishing. Best spent money and time in the garage this year!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jul 2021 12:53 by yakuza.

More
27 Jul 2021 15:59 #237038 by Dirtbird
Roger yeah like it's the first thing in my head all the time . Said it to Terrance my Shot blaster and asked him what did he think and like yakuza said can get warped . He did also say you need to find a good galvanizing company as they vary. I've been dealing with them for years and he brought me into the booth to show me a Land Rover chassis and told me the client didn't want to go to the trouble of closing up the bolt holes etc and the guy was going to earn it when he goes cleaning em up.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
27 Jul 2021 16:26 #237044 by Roger Fairclough
I had the chassis from a Triumph GT6 galvanized by a company in Birmingham and that turned out fine. Maybe it was the deep tank that enabled the chassis to go in vertically.

If you screw in a bolt and then galvanize you can heat the bolt head until the zinc melts and then remove the sacrificial bolt and jobs done.

Roger

More
28 Jul 2021 16:42 #237093 by Dirtbird
Started cleaning the engine bay while the chassis is at the sand throwers ...... 
The Battery tray

Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2021 19:06 #237100 by Paul4A
Why not just get the chassis powder coated? Having said that, there’s some good paint products around these days.

Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.

More
28 Jul 2021 19:10 #237101 by Paul4A
Are there any steel repair or replacement panels available for crusty rear wheel arches?   Ours has a small hole visible forward of the rear wheel, though only visible when you stick your head next to the wheel.   If there’s a hole then there’s probably more rust about to show itself.

Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.

More
28 Jul 2021 19:18 #237103 by Dirtbird
Paul, I've powder coated a couple of items in the past, and to be honest not a fan if the item is exposed to chipping, etc this is primarily a result of a poor application by the firm, it can either be over-cured or under cured. I like paint because it's easy to touch up and a fraction of the cost.

And you can do it your self , the down side is you have noone to blame aster the fact. 

Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2021 19:24 #237105 by Dirtbird
Might be a retaining bolt that's fallen out, I'm an optimist by heart, Paul holes are not hard to fix so maybe jack it up, secure the load with jack stands or ramps and get good light and get in under it and give it a clean and a good poke with a screwdriver. You will know where you stand after that.

More
28 Jul 2021 19:27 #237106 by Dirtbird

I had the chassis from a Triumph GT6 galvanized by a company in Birmingham and that turned out fine. Maybe it was the deep tank that enabled the chassis to go in vertically.

If you screw in a bolt and then galvanize you can heat the bolt head until the zinc melts and then remove the sacrificial bolt and jobs done.

Roger
 So really skilled people out there who take pride in their profession , I think preheating the chassis is a key to a perfect coating. 

More
30 Jul 2021 06:58 #237142 by yakuza
there is powder coating and there is powder coating.. and of course big differences in galvanizing as well. See what products the company makes and if it is for coastal and outdoor use. A local company here has a 25 years rust warranty on their galvanized and coated products and I am 51 and seen it for the last 30 years so I know it is good.

If you send stuff off to be powder coating, do take great care in removing burrs and sharp edges as this is the first place the coating slips.
typically not great on US products with poor powder coating.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds