BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
12 May 2020 22:01 #222186 by wjamieson
Thanks for the heads up. Will indeed give them a lick of paint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2020 15:14 #222203 by Soeley
Attachments:

More
14 May 2020 13:40 #222226 by Scimike
Today I changed the Alternator and PAS V belts, a job that I had been putting off for about two years simply as it looked like a pain.
I am pleased to report it went without any issues and is easy enough to do with the radiator in place, another reason for putting it off just in case it needed to be removed.
The back of my hands look like I've had a fight with the cat and lost, but I am happy with this if it avoids messing with the radiator.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
15 May 2020 12:02 #222266 by Scimike
Well today I fitted one of the Radius arm guards I have. It fitted very well (new old stock ORA), so a pat on the back for that.
It's been at bit of an on / off love affair with these.
I don't need them as I will never push my Jimny into the sort of terrain that needs them, so I was fitting them purely to get them off my shelf.
After fitting it became apparent that they present a potential mud trap between the radius mount and guard. The beveled edge on the Jimny mount reduces the clearance between the two, and it also hides any potential corrosion. The thickness of the mount also potentially reduces the clamping force on the radius arm bush, simply part of the 90Nm is now going into compression of the mount. Probably not an issue, but I don't like the idea of a suspension mounting point not operating at the correct preload, just in case the bush rotates rather than being clamped.
So today I removed the one Radius arm guard I had fitted !
Great if you need them, but not for me unfortunately.
Back on the shelf :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
16 May 2020 13:38 - 16 May 2020 13:44 #222323 by wjamieson
Fitted my Front Right Recovery point today. Had to cut a wee slot in the bumper but quite easy to do. No way you would know unless you were specifically looking for it. A lot stronger and bigger bolts than the front left. Only problem being that I believe it should have been extended by at least another 20mm. It's very difficult to fit the shackle. In fact you have to fit the shackle back to front. Interested in peoples views on this? I have read and seen elsewhere when a slot rather than a hole it is fine to fit the shackle back to front. Any way using both front recovery points with strap is going to be a lot more secure than the original tie down points. Only need to find somewhere to get stuck now. :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2020 13:44 by wjamieson. Reason: Pics not displaying properly

• jamie_300
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2020 15:11 #222332 by jamie_300
Replied by jamie_300 on topic Fitted Front Right Recovery Point Today
where did you get the strop to connect the two points from i've been looking at those for ages but the ones i seem to find are always too long.

More
16 May 2020 17:12 #222345 by wjamieson

More
16 May 2020 19:18 #222352 by Soeley
I got this one from Machine Mart after a few recommendations on here.

More
16 May 2020 19:23 #222353 by Soeley

wjamieson wrote: Here you go. www.firstfour.co.uk/

That seems a good price actually considering the shackles are rated ones.

More
16 May 2020 19:40 - 17 May 2020 10:01 #222354 by Scimike
Hi Jamieson,
Just looking at your shackle fit pictures, I quite like the fact they are semi hidden, but as you say could make fitting the shackles difficult in the field. I guess just fit them and the strop in the carpark before you go off-road, no issues then. I also noticed in the first picture what looks like a rust stain at the top of the chassis / body mount. May be worth getting some wax in this area if it is rust (and you intend to keep the Jimny), or at least check it and tell me it's a bad camera angle. Only mentioned as it was a known rust spot on the G3 and don't want what happened to mine to happen on your G4.
All the best
Mike

Last edit: 17 May 2020 10:01 by Scimike.

• jflynn2112
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2020 15:16 #222404 by jflynn2112
Replied by jflynn2112 on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Nearly there with my bits and bobs.

Roof Rack.
Vinyl wrap the roof in black.
Now new tyres.

I want to try and get some spotlights for the front, if anyone has any recommendations?

Cheers!
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 May 2020 16:16 #222416 by Lambert
Took Dreadnaught out for a drive today. Very interesting. Fired up nicely enough but probably wouldn't have stood a second go if she hadn't caught. Clutch was really squeaky and much higher than I remember. Brakes were nasty and grinding and not happy. By the time I arrived the destination the expansion bottle was like a well shaken bottle of kopparberg, all bubbles. Al things being even not a bad first drive after about 7 weeks sat up and fortunately the destination was to the garage who are replacing the head gasket and fitting a new clutch. There's light at the end of the grand vitara shaped tunnel.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds