BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2013 22:38 #57580 by jimnybob
is it possible to get 2wd low ratio?? was created by jimnybob
hello everyone! just wondering, is it possible to make 2wd low ratio on my jimny?? if so how hard is it to do? a build thread would be very helpful :side: the reason i would like to do this is so i can use the jimny to move heavy trailers around but as it on concrete would rather not be in 4wd. thanks in advance look forward to replies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2013 22:49 #57582 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
Yea it's possible, if you have manual locking hubs. select 4 low, and dont get out and turn the hubs on haha

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2013 22:59 #57585 by jimnybob
Replied by jimnybob on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
:lol: with the vaccum system pwease. heard something about a switch that stops a vaccum but couldnt find any more :huh:

• winter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2013 23:05 #57587 by winter
Replied by winter on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
just like matey befor me said you need to have m/hubs have them in the free wheel and pop it into 4wd low your then have 2wd low
but dont think you can do with air hubs get rid of them

• Dave n lincs
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2013 23:18 #57589 by Dave n lincs
Replied by Dave n lincs on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
Can the pipes to the vacuum front hubs just not be disconnected? And then run it in 4 low. Or even remove front prop shaft.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2013 23:28 - 08 Jan 2013 23:29 #57590 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
There is a switch in the t-box that activates the vacumme you can splice another dash mounted switch into this , this will let you choose if the front hubs lock or not therefore giving you the option of 2wd low
Last edit: 08 Jan 2013 23:29 by reaper.

More
09 Jan 2013 08:05 #57595 by mlines
Most vacuum equipped Jimnys run in 2WD low anyway :ohmy: :whistle:

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2013 09:24 #57600 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
Or, if you have an SJ t-box, you can have a twin stick shifter that makes it possible to use 2wd low.

• Cider
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2013 09:50 - 09 Jan 2013 10:00 #57602 by Cider
Replied by Cider on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
Hi
jo king did a write up on here how he done his, not sure how to pin up a link

used "2wd low" and seach "jo king" posts and found it :) Oh the post is over a year old so you`ll have to set your search to any date!!!!
Cheers
Last edit: 09 Jan 2013 10:00 by Cider.

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2013 10:41 #57608 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??
"Most vacuum equipped Jimnys run in 2WD low anyway"

If that is the case Martin, is it possible to convert to 2WD high? How would you know if your vehicle was running 2WD low

I presume you would not be towing your heavy trailer in the road. As I presume if you need 2wd low to tow it, then it must be VRRY heavy.. Be very careful of exceeding the vehicle towing weight.

More
09 Jan 2013 10:54 #57609 by mlines
WanderingStar - it was a joke based on the fact that most Jimnys have never been in 4WD and the vacuum hubs have probably failed!

As suggested, by putting a switch in the 4WD wire from the transfer box you can stop the hubs engaging and you get 2WD High and Low ratio.

I use a trailer a lot and having the ability to low speed manouver the trailer is really handy. Even with a 3 Litre diesel engine with loads of BHP reversing a 1 tonne trailer up a slope taxes the drive chain in High Ratio. I suspect that I would end up boiling the fluid in the Auto box quite quickly. Therefore being able to use low ratio gets around this. clearly I am not talking about a jimny but the principle is the same - low and slow is good!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• ITI RIDER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2013 11:05 #57611 by ITI RIDER
Replied by ITI RIDER on topic is it possible to get 2wd low ratio??

reaper wrote: There is a switch in the t-box that activates the vacumme you can splice another dash mounted switch into this , this will let you choose if the front hubs lock or not therefore giving you the option of 2wd low

exactly! The transfer has 2 electonic valves, the front is for the 4wd, and the rear (with a small skid plate) is for the low. If you cut one from to cables (on the front valve) and insert an on-off swith, you can have low in 2wd mode. A good position for the switch is on the side of handbrake. The cable can pass from a hole under the handbrake.

If you do this, take care..

-wich way you engage the 2wd low. You must first engage 4wd, then 4low (as usually) and then take the new swith in "off" mode to have 2wd low mode.
-To go back in 2wd high mode, take the new swhich to "on" and then disengage the 4low and 4wd as usually.
-if for any reason the car switch off in 2wd low mode, before you start you must puss the new swith to "on"

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds