BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

4WD light NOT flashing!

• Mattzuki
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2012 17:45 #55155 by Mattzuki
4WD light NOT flashing! was created by Mattzuki
OK, this might sound odd but I've swapped the Aisin free-wheeling hubs from the SJ onto my new Jimny. Nice and straightforward thanks to Martin's 'how to...'. So, I was expecting to see the 4WD light flashing as written about elsewhere, but it behaves as normal - comes on when I engage 4WD, goes off when I disengage - no fiddling with vacuum pipes or sensor wires.

I'm not complaing of course, but it just seems odd - did some Jimnys come with the sensor on the transfer box like the SJs?

Cheers,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mattzuki
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2012 14:45 #55786 by Mattzuki
Replied by Mattzuki on topic 4WD light NOT flashing!
Can anyone point out what I've done wrong - as per the previous post I've fitted the hubs and for some reason the 4wd lamp doesn't flash. When I put the free wheel hubs on I didn't do anything to the vacuum system - is this an essential job, does it affect the way the free-wheel hubs work?

Anyway - I tested it around the farm & woods and all worked fine. The 4wd drive system was working. But last weekend I went to engage 4wd and there was no drive at the front. I got it home and jacked it up, engaged the hubs and the transfer box, but both front wheels were spinning freely. The front prop was engaged as it would turn by hand.

So I'm a bit confused. It's probably something simple, but I'd appreciate some guidance as a 2wd Jimny is not much good off-road! When I took the hubs off the SJ there was a circlip holding the hub on, but I couldn't see how they could be re-fitted on the Jimny shafts.

Cheers,

Matt

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2012 14:50 #55787 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic 4WD light NOT flashing!
There is probably a blockage in the vacuum piping somewhere which is fooling the system into thinking its working so no flashing light. I wouldn't worry about it espeacilly.

As for the 4WD not working when you jacked it did you jack up the whole front of the car?
make sure both hubs are engaged, put it in 4wd and in gear. Jack up one side only and try and spin the wheel.
If both wheels are off the ground or one hub isn't engaged the diff can make it look like nothing is actually engaged.

• Mattzuki
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2012 15:32 #55789 by Mattzuki
Can anyone point out what I've done wrong - as per the previous post I've fitted the hubs and for some reason the 4wd lamp doesn't flash. When I put the free wheel hubs on I didn't do anything to the vacuum system - is this an essential job, does it affect the way the free-wheel hubs work?

Anyway - I tested it around the farm & woods and all worked fine. The 4wd drive system was working. But last weekend I went to engage 4wd and there was no drive at the front. I got it home and jacked it up, engaged the hubs and the transfer box, but both front wheels were spinning freely. The front prop was engaged as it would turn by hand.

So I'm a bit confused. It's probably something simple, but I'd appreciate some guidance as a 2wd Jimny is not much good off-road! When I took the hubs off the SJ there was a circlip holding the hub on, but I couldn't see how they could be re-fitted on the Jimny shafts.

Cheers,

Matt

• Mattzuki
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2012 15:35 #55791 by Mattzuki
Hi Goatboy,

I jacked one wheel at a time, and checked both sides that way.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Matt

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2012 16:02 #55792 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic 4WD light NOT flashing!
The vacuum system won't have any effect on the freewheeling hubs. you don't need to do anything with it...

Just a thought, is your Jimny an older model one with a stick selector for 4WD or a newer one with a button?

• Mattzuki
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2012 17:33 #55796 by Mattzuki
It's an '03 plate with stick selector. I like it simple!

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds