BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

A bit more pop n fart.

• Jimny J
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 23:14 #54711 by Jimny J
A bit more pop n fart. was created by Jimny J
I know this isn't the sort of thing that would normally play on a 4x4 owner's mind.
But having spent a lot of time around v8's and enjoying their rumbling tones and the occasional pop n fart, I kinda feel my little Jimny is a bit lacking in the sound department.
I've had a few modded cars in my time, and it has to be said I do enjoying making a bit of noise now and then. And im starting too miss it.
I know the obvious thing to do is get a Jap can and stick it on, though not really my style. But having looked under the arse end there isn't much room to play with.

Has anybody here had a bit of a play with their exhaust for such reasons and got anything notable back from it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 23:19 #54712 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic A bit more pop n fart.
Hmm Straight through pipe on a Jimny...

• Jimny J
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 23:29 #54713 by Jimny J
Replied by Jimny J on topic A bit more pop n fart.
Could work, though I have experimented with straight through exhausts in the past and the outcome is usually horrific. Tried one on my old 2.2 vtec Prelude, and yes it sounded ok, but was deafening inside and out. :pinch: Then tried it with a GReedy 4in box on the rear and that hit the spot.

My only thought with the jimny is I hardly ever break 3000 rpm, most I ever go to even on road is about 3250-3500 and the last thing i want is to loose to much back pressure and loose any power.

Saying that im pretty sure a lack of back pressure will only cause loss of high rpm power. Am i right? This is the smallest cc engine Iv'e owned, and also the lowest revving so its a little out of my area.

• Jimny J
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 23:31 #54714 by Jimny J
I know its not possible, but oh my god! What a noise! Anybody seen this thing, or know what lies underneath?

• Jimny J
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 23:53 #54715 by Jimny J
Probably should add im a huge formula offroad fan, and other than some better tyres and maybe a lift for now, I want to aim any possible funds towards ending up with my Jimny resembling the Jimny in the above video. But keeping the road legality.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2012 18:00 #54756 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic A bit more pop n fart.
I have a custom made backbox based on a motorbike one sounds awesome ;)

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2012 21:38 #54784 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic A bit more pop n fart.
Here is my exhaust on the standard 1.3 engine >

It is a custom back box made from the centre section of a diesel Nissan exhaust with a 3" stainless tip.

Cost me £10 for the Nissan centre section from some exhaust aladins cave near where I live.

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2012 21:53 #54786 by Dan_w
Replied by Dan_w on topic A bit more pop n fart.

Jimny J wrote: I know its not possible, but oh my god! What a noise! Anybody seen this thing, or know what lies underneath?

That's pretty cool, it doesn't look or sound like there is much Jimny left there, it sounds like some nice turbo motor with a space frame and a few Jimny pannels bolted on :woohoo:

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2012 23:16 #54796 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic A bit more pop n fart.
iv seen a polo mid box used as a back box and KAP do a performance exhaust for the jimny

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2012 11:11 #54894 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic A bit more pop n fart.
think it has a saab 2ltr turbo

• Jimny J
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2012 11:30 #54899 by Jimny J

Adamski wrote: Here is my exhaust on the standard 1.3 engine >

It is a custom back box made from the centre section of a diesel Nissan exhaust with a 3" stainless tip.

Cost me £10 for the Nissan centre section from some exhaust aladins cave near where I live.[/quote

Did you cut the original rear box off the pipe after the bend, and weld/clamp onto that?

• Jimny J
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2012 11:35 #54900 by Jimny J
My biggest issue is al my cars before hand where pre emission/cat regulations. Most of which just ran a small centre silencer and large diameter rear sections and large bore back boxes. Not had much experience in keeping it legal, usually just got by dipping the clutch past the local rozzer's :blush:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds