BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What Tyres to get?????

• Kozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 21:40 #53859 by Kozi
What Tyres to get????? was created by Kozi
Hey guys Newbie here :) just bought myself a 2000 year RED Jimny and LOVIN it, i bought it with 195/80/15 Insa Turbo Special Tracks on it. There brand new but to extreme for what i need plus they eat fuel and send you deff!! haha im wanting a All Terrain set up? Can anyone recommend some tyres for me to look at??? Any price and preferable the same size, i use it as a daily but like to go Green Lanin at the weekends :) been looking at Insa Sahara, Goodrich All Terrain (slighty bigger tyre size tho) Grabber AT any others to recommend any help woud b great ;) many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 21:46 #53860 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic What Tyres to get?????
You wont go wrong with the bfg's they are expensive but do last the general grabbers are also a very good at , the saharas ar quite an aggressive tread so you may get some road noise
Welcome to the forum get some pics up of that ride :-)

• nezzy55
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 21:55 #53862 by nezzy55
Replied by nezzy55 on topic What Tyres to get?????
I'd recomend Insa turbo dakar's

• Fearghal Murphy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 21:56 #53863 by Fearghal Murphy
Replied by Fearghal Murphy on topic What Tyres to get?????
Welcome and hope u are enjoying the Jimny ! I have BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on mine (fitted one month ago) and when i switched from All Terrains to Mud Terrains i didn't notice a huge increase in road noise, nothing worth losing the extra traction and toughness ! Think the Sarahas might be a bit more aggressive though ! I would leave em on and buy an AC/DC cd and blast it when driving haha !

More
21 Nov 2012 22:26 - 21 Nov 2012 22:31 #53872 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic What Tyres to get?????
The new BFG pattern MT's are supposed to be much better for road noise as that is why they changed the pattern - to comply with incoming EU legislation on new tyre noise that comes in next year, then in 2015 it will apply to remoulds too, so you won't be able to buy extreme pattern tyres sold as road legal.

Consider Kumho KL71's too. I had some and thought they were ok. My mate has them now though and says he can hear the hum they make after changing from road tyres to them on his LWB Vitara. So I don;t know if you'd find them too noise or not.

I once had some Colway AT's on my first Jimny and that is still in my Mrs extended family. They have just been replaced by normal road tyres and the current owner says there is a marked improvement in spriteliness of the car and better fuel consumption. Everyone's idea of what's acceptable differs.

I don't know what the law will be on Remoulds being sold to you as for off road use in only, but you use them on the road in 2015 - quite likely they will be illegal to use on the road also.

Another load of Euro crap - because there are loads of motors out there that have extreme tyes on that drive everyone mad with the noise they create aren't there! NOT!

Right, I'll step down from the soap box before I get going...

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 21 Nov 2012 22:31 by kirkynut. Reason: adding

• Kozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 22:36 #53874 by Kozi
Replied by Kozi on topic What Tyres to get?????
You reckon i could fit 215/75/15 on my jimny?? Iv got 195/80/15 special tracks on and thers loads of room :)

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 22:48 #53876 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: What Tyres to get?????

GuardianAngel wrote: The new BFG pattern MT's are supposed to be much better for road noise as that is why they changed the pattern - to comply with incoming EU legislation on new tyre noise that comes in next year, then in 2015 it will apply to remoulds too, so you won't be able to buy extreme pattern tyres sold as road legal.

Consider Kumho KL71's too. I had some and thought they were ok. My mate has them now though and says he can hear the hum they make after changing from road tyres to them on his LWB Vitara. So I don;t know if you'd find them too noise or not.

I once had some Colway AT's on my first Jimny and that is still in my Mrs extended family. They have just been replaced by normal road tyres and the current owner says there is a marked improvement in spriteliness of the car and better fuel consumption. Everyone's idea of what's acceptable differs.

I don't know what the law will be on Remoulds being sold to you as for off road use in only, but you use them on the road in 2015 - quite likely they will be illegal to use on the road also.

Another load of Euro crap - because there are loads of motors out there that have extreme tyes on that drive everyone mad with the noise they create aren't there! NOT!

Kirkynut

Well be out of the EU by then so no need to worry :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• Fearghal Murphy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 22:51 #53878 by Fearghal Murphy
Replied by Fearghal Murphy on topic Re: What Tyres to get?????
Yeah i have the new Mud Terrain KM 2s with the new pattern and they are grand ! Excellent off road too , love em !

More
21 Nov 2012 23:21 #53885 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: What Tyres to get?????

GuardianAngel wrote:

GuardianAngel wrote: The new BFG pattern MT's are supposed to be much better for road noise as that is why they changed the pattern - to comply with incoming EU legislation on new tyre noise that comes in next year, then in 2015 it will apply to remoulds too, so you won't be able to buy extreme pattern tyres sold as road legal.

Kirkynut

Well be out of the EU by then so no need to worry :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Here's hoping!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• UKDAN
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 23:46 #53888 by UKDAN
Replied by UKDAN on topic What Tyres to get?????
If you want budget ATs try Event ML698 same pattern as BFG a friend has them and says they drive very well, I have General Grabber AT2s & also have no problems with them.

• Barnyzuki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 23:49 #53889 by Barnyzuki
Replied by Barnyzuki on topic Re: What Tyres to get?????
I `m using 215R15 Camac Terra all terrains, no lift and no clearance issues.
Same A/T pattern as BFG and work just the same.
For 95% of my offroading A/T pattern are fine and totaly quiet on the road.
I have used Kumho KL71 mud tyres and they are fantastic, quietest mud tyres I`ve ever used on road and so so grippy in the mud.

• Kozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2012 22:27 #53963 by Kozi
Replied by Kozi on topic What Tyres to get?????
Thank you ALL very much for your helpful information im gona get searching now :) Im gona be putting a set of 5x 195/80/15 Insa Turbo Special Tracks up for sale so spread the word, there nearly brand new seen bout 600mile £200 for the 5 no offers tho im affraid cheers again guys

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds