BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyres

• craigy123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2012 10:17 #53744 by craigy123
Tyres was created by craigy123
With a budget of £250. What mud/snow tyres would you buy and what size for a standard jimny. It's for on road use as well as some fun off road.

Many thanks Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2012 16:11 #53758 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Tyres

craigy123 wrote: With a budget of £250. What mud/snow tyres would you buy and what size for a standard jimny. It's for on road use as well as some fun off road.

Many thanks Craig

I bought a set of Kumho 798 250/70 x 15 for just over £250 they work for me, no serious off road but fine across fields so far hth ... ;)

More
20 Nov 2012 20:11 #53782 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Tyres
Hi Craig,
What vintage Jimny do you have? The max size tyres is slightly different between the older Jimny and the face lift model.

Kumho (Marshall) offer some good tyres. I have just fitted 195 80 x 15 KL71 MTs fitted to 7" modular wheels to my 2005 Jimny. It was a tight fit, but no rubbing so far and I think is the largest size for the later model. £61 each delivered and then £5 each fitting to new rims.

Running 21psi Front and 23psi rears. Grip and ride quality is not too bad on road. Bigger tyres usually mean added weight and IMO can bring on the dread death wobble. Steering damper may well help. Did fo me.

The other thing to mention about any MT tread is you will get increased road noise. Mine is noticeable but acceptable.

Only had one tank fuel through since fitting the tyres and wheels and MPG seems about the same. 250 miles between refills

Cheers
paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2012 20:33 #53787 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Tyres
Where the hell did you find kl71's for £61 :ohmy:
Cheepest i have seen in that size is £86

More
20 Nov 2012 22:48 #53799 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Tyres
250 miles, wow, I get 150 if driving gently on my special tracs.

More
21 Nov 2012 06:53 #53812 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Tyres
Hi Supergaz,

This is where mods on the Jimny becomes a slippery slope. So far I have just done wheels and tyres and steering damper. These 195 80 x 15 on 7" modular wheels weigh 8kilos heavier than the standard Bridgestones on alloys. The more weight you add the worst mpg gets. Mines is a VVT so does a little better on MPG than the older older model.

I am planning a suspension lift and snorkel and hope that does not reduce mpg by much. I use the Jimny as my daily drive. Driving to Wales in it tomorrow!

Hi Repear,
I had the tyres delivered week before last from www.mytyres.co.uk/ I checked yesterday and they no longer have them at that price. I did have to shop around for about a week before I found them. You could try contacting them and asking if they have any more.

cheers
Paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

• craigy123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2012 08:02 #53813 by craigy123
Replied by craigy123 on topic Tyres
I have a T plate 1999 jimny. It's a winter car just now for me while my golf is tucked up. However I'm falling in love with the wee beast and the temptation to modify her is getting high.

Anyone had any experience with 195/80R15 MARIX PUMA 96Q MUD TERRAIN TYRES?

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds