BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How does the 4wd work?

• phippj1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2012 22:54 #53402 by phippj1
How does the 4wd work? was created by phippj1
Hi All,

Was thinking about the 4wd on the jimny. Im used to landrovers so I'm getting a bit confused about how the 4wd works in the jimny but i think I have now figured it out and thought I would check.

So when the vehicle is in 2wd, the drive comes from the engine through the gear box into the tranmission where it drives both prop shafts but only the rear axle as the front hubs are not locked in? If this is the case then there is a lot of wasted energy with the vehicle in 2wd with the front axle spinning?

So when its in 4wd, the front hubs are locked in and so drive the wheels?

So what happens if you fit manual locking hubs like off a SJ or after market kits? If the locking hubs are disengaged then youll have the ability to have 2wd low? but to put the vehicle into 4wd you have to hop out of the vehicle and click the manual hubs into the locked position?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2012 23:18 #53407 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic How does the 4wd work?
wrong when in 2wd it has drive to the rear only then in 4wd hubd lock and drive to front and rear

and you are right about the manual hubs

• phippj1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2012 12:55 #53427 by phippj1
Replied by phippj1 on topic How does the 4wd work?
thanks markyp2000, so whens its in standard drive, the front axle prop shaft and half shafts still rotate but just dont drive?

More
16 Nov 2012 13:28 #53431 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic How does the 4wd work?
No only the rear prop shaft turns. 4wd engages the front prop and vacuum hubs.
Note you cannot drive on tarmac wet or dry in 4wd as there is no centre diff. Only drive on gravel/mud/snow etc. i.e. slippery surfaces.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
16 Nov 2012 14:25 #53432 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic How does the 4wd work?
But you may see the front prop rotating slowly, even when it 2WD due to drag in the system

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• phippj1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2012 16:00 #53435 by phippj1
Replied by phippj1 on topic How does the 4wd work?
So what is in the transmission which engages it to drive both front and rear prop when you put it in 4wd?

I thought the transmission permanently drive both rear and front props and when you lock it into 4wd it just locks the hubs to teh half shafts to engage 4wd?

More
16 Nov 2012 16:19 #53437 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic How does the 4wd work?
The Transfer box and front hubs work in combination.

2WD
The Transfer box puts the power to the rear prop in 2wd and disconnects the front prop from the transmission.
The front hubs disconnect the wheels from the drive to stop the props turning as the front wheels turn.

4WD
The transfer box connects both the front and rear props together and both turn with the transmission.
The front hubs connect the wheels to the drive so everything is connected together.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 Nov 2012 18:18 #53453 by facade
Replied by facade on topic How does the 4wd work?
There is a simple sliding collar (red) that locks the front shaft (blue) to the twirling gubbins inside the transfer box.

The drive is via a hy-vo chain from the top flange, all the sectioned gubbins is an epycyclic reduction gear to give low range.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds