BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

body lift questions

• grimny87
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 15:47 #53240 by grimny87
body lift questions was created by grimny87
hello, im pretty new on here and a bit of a novice in the mechanics department so my questions may be a bit silly but here goes,
i have recently purchased some 235 75 mt tyres for my 04 jimny and am fitting a 2" body lift to accomodate them, (with the help of a frend who is alot better with cars) and i'v got steering extension and extended brake hoses, but was wondering about the front bumper mounts, will there be a gap? and would i need a bash plate to fill the gap? thats my main question really, but usefull advice that anyone can offer would be very helpful and greatly apreciated, and if i may need any more major parts or fabrications please let me know, im not doing the lift til early next month (dec) so have time to do a bit of homework
well thats all for now and i look forward to your advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Allen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 16:59 #53246 by Allen
Replied by Allen on topic body lift questions

grimny87 wrote: hello, im pretty new on here and a bit of a novice in the mechanics department so my questions may be a bit silly but here goes,
i have recently purchased some 235 75 mt tyres for my 04 jimny and am fitting a 2" body lift to accomodate them, (with the help of a frend who is alot better with cars) and i'v got steering extension and extended brake hoses, but was wondering about the front bumper mounts, will there be a gap? and would i need a bash plate to fill the gap? thats my main question really, but usefull advice that anyone can offer would be very helpful and greatly apreciated, and if i may need any more major parts or fabrications please let me know, im not doing the lift til early next month (dec) so have time to do a bit of homework
well thats all for now and i look forward to your advice

Hi, I did a body lift on my 2002 jimny a few weeks back, I had to extend metal brake pipes just by the servo (where brake fluid goes) as if I didn't the rubber hoses would of been streched so look out for that.. I did a full brake fluid change as I renewed the metal hoses like you are to, just check all your bleed nipples on the calliper s and load sensing valves don't snap.. As fr the front bumper I just removed the black middle section and temp tied mine back on.. You can deffo make it fit back on though just need to mod a bracket for the holes there isn't a huge gap so I don't think a bash plate is really nessasary.. Will you b off roading a lot??

• grimny87
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2012 13:18 #53315 by grimny87
Replied by grimny87 on topic body lift questions
cheers allen, very helpful,
i do plan on doin alot of offroading, and pushing it quite hard, thats why im defo useing the extended hoses (i have read on here that they are not 100% nessecary) and im not gunna chance leaving the steering column (again read that its not nessecary),
have had a look the bottom of the bumper this morning and i can see why the black bit needs to come off and your right, the gap will be quite small, so not really worried about that now, the other thing, you dont mention it in you bodylift feed, but it is in a couple of others, is the shifters? did you mod the shifter for the transfer box? or both? or (hopefully) neither?
and also i didnt mention in the first post but im putting in wheel spacers aswell, and maybe some spring spacers to make a wee bit more room but im pretty confident they will be hassle free

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2012 18:31 #53342 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic body lift questions
you will need to extend the tbox leaver by 2" near the bottom

on the body to chassis brake flexi pipes on the drivers side underneath above the trailing are just unbolt the bracket do the lift and make a bracket to refit it there is enough in the metal pipe to bend it straighter to allow for the bigger gap

if you fit 2" spring spacers you will need to put rear shock lower locating brackets and and front upper extended spacer

• nezzy55
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2012 17:02 - 16 Nov 2012 17:04 #53442 by nezzy55
Replied by nezzy55 on topic body lift questions

this is what i done to mine just made a little extention bracket
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2012 17:04 by nezzy55.

• Allen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2012 00:37 #53492 by Allen
Replied by Allen on topic body lift questions

grimny87 wrote: cheers allen, very helpful,
i do plan on doin alot of offroading, and pushing it quite hard, thats why im defo useing the extended hoses (i have read on here that they are not 100% nessecary) and im not gunna chance leaving the steering column (again read that its not nessecary),
have had a look the bottom of the bumper this morning and i can see why the black bit needs to come off and your right, the gap will be quite small, so not really worried about that now, the other thing, you dont mention it in you bodylift feed, but it is in a couple of others, is the shifters? did you mod the shifter for the transfer box? or both? or (hopefully) neither?
and also i didnt mention in the first post but im putting in wheel spacers aswell, and maybe some spring spacers to make a wee bit more room but im pretty confident they will be hassle free

Yeah you deffo need extended hoses mine connect through the body/inner wing on the n/s/f.. And yeah I forgot to say about the transfer box stick, I did mine yesterday, I just took it out of the box (three 12mm headed bolts) and heated it up till cherry red and bent it forward a bit, goes in perfect now.. Do the steering arm extenders, I did.. And I didn't want to take the steering column and what not off so cut the extenders down a bit (wouldn't fit in other wise. Oh and you need to make or buy a braker for the lsv!!! And yeah the spacers are a piece off both spring and wheel..

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2012 17:08 #53514 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic body lift questions
inregards to the n/s/f brake metal pipe it can be pulled through enough to connect it on to the chassis on the spring mount

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds