BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

predicament

• devgru
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 00:13 #53200 by devgru
predicament was created by devgru
I'm now at the crossroads that most if not all jimny owners come to at one point in time. Stock or lift?
I wish to maintain the current fuel economy the stock Jimny offers but would like to have that taller stance as well.
Is it possible to have the best of both worlds?
My idea is to get a 2.5 inch lift, change tires to 215/75r15 with non aggressive pattern or street treads.
Any suggestions / opinions / experience are highly sought. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 00:31 #53201 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic predicament
I'd go this way as a good compromise that allows for bigger tyres but not too big and higher clearance but not too much...

37mm lift using original springs and shockers from "bits4vits"

205/70 x 15 Maxxis Trepador tyres, these are same size as original but more aggressive... and look cool too :D

This way you have enough lift and good gripping tyres that are quite good on the road as well.

• Jimnyash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 08:06 #53206 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic predicament

devgru wrote: I wish to maintain the current fuel economy the stock Jimny offers

I don't know what others have found, but I found as soon as I put on bigger tyres (215/75 15 AT) my MPG went out the window.

It went down from around 35MPG to 31MPG and now the weather is colder it's gone down even more!

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 12:28 #53217 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic predicament
As Ash says... the cold weather has taken mine down from 32-33 to now just over 30mpg

I'm running 205/75 on stock suspension

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 13:13 - 14 Nov 2012 13:15 #53222 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic predicament

ZookFastback wrote: I'd go this way as a good compromise that allows for bigger tyres but not too big and higher clearance but not too much...

205/70 x 15 Maxxis Trepador tyres, these are same size as original but more aggressive... and look cool too :D

This way you have enough lift and good gripping tyres that are quite good on the road as well.

This will be the route I will take one day. Nice and simple and relatively cheap. And I would fit wheel spacers as well.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2012 13:15 by GuardianAngel.

• jimnycricket
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 13:43 #53224 by jimnycricket
Replied by jimnycricket on topic predicament
personally tho never lifted a jimny, tho i have on 4 other suzukis , 2 of which i started with a spacer lift
i felt the spacer lift did feel harsh compared with a decent spring lift

so id go with a decent spring lift ....also from bits4vits see his blogs he has it fitted to his own jimny ;)
and he started with a spacer lift i think ...

do it once and be done with . cost more in the long run if you fit spacers now and then feel you
wish you had gone with the spring lift...

my pennies worth ;)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 14:45 #53230 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic predicament

ZookFastback wrote: I'd go this way as a good compromise that allows for bigger tyres but not too big and higher clearance but not too much...

The maxxis trepadors shown here are the sticky comp spec ones, with softer compound they wear out faster. Instead go for the standard ones. They are also cheaper :-)

• devgru
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 14:57 #53232 by devgru
Replied by devgru on topic Re: predicament
I'm feeling the love from all the response.
Looks like losing MPG is an inevitability that will need to be experienced.
Jimnycricket...you got it right "get it over and done with"
Thanks all.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 15:00 #53234 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic predicament

TomDK wrote: The maxxis trepadors shown here are the sticky comp spec ones, with softer compound they wear out faster.

And that bias version only comes in 37" and 40" tall, so might be a tight fit on a 2.5" spacer lift! :lol:

• Jimnyash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2012 15:04 #53236 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic Re: predicament

devgru wrote: I'm feeling the love from all the response.
Looks like losing MPG is an inevitability that will need to be experienced.

To quote from a film: It's inevitably inevitable!

I'm gonna block the lower grill and see if that makes a little difference with the MPG now it's getting cold.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds