BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cheap roof bars

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2012 19:08 #51680 by happypig
Cheap roof bars was created by happypig
I've been after some cheapo roof bars to fix spotlights to and Lidl are currently doing them for £26.99
Not got round to fitting them yet, but at that price they have to be worth a punt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2012 20:14 #51695 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Cheap roof bars
They look ok, lockable with 3 year GT thanks ...

www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-247392D8...rdate=&ERR=noservice

• Jimnyash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 07:32 #51739 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic Cheap roof bars
Let us know how you get on using them for a light bar.

• Sandspider
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 11:30 #51752 by Sandspider
Replied by Sandspider on topic Cheap roof bars
Do you think they'd be strong enough to carry (say) a washing machine on? Or would they only really do for mounting lights on and light loads?

(I don't have a Jimny yet, so I'm not sure how strong the roof mounts are...)

Thanks.

• Sandspider
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 11:46 #51754 by Sandspider
If it comes to that, is it possible / sensible to put something like a washing machine just directly on to the roof rails and strap it to them?

(Sorry to de-rail your thread, OP!)

More
31 Oct 2012 13:15 #51759 by auchenblae
Replied by auchenblae on topic Cheap roof bars
They were on sale a while ago and I got a set for the Impreza. They are strong enough but the roof will not take a washing machine never mind the roof bars.

They are lockable and you tighten them with a long allen key. If you fully lossen them the captive nut that should stay on the bar falls out so if you are trying to put them on in a muddy field you could loose the non captive, captive bolt but they are more than strong enough. I think they are available in different lenghts so it would be the narrower model for the Jimny.

eddie

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tadpole

• Sandspider
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 17:33 #51775 by Sandspider
OK, thanks.

Is a Jimny roof not that strong then? How much weight do people put on theirs? Would it take (say) a fridge? (I'm looking at a Jimny as being more practical than my every day car...)

More
31 Oct 2012 21:19 - 31 Oct 2012 21:31 #51806 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Cheap roof bars
I think the roof bars will take a maximum of 25kg. The jimny is failry practical if for 2 people maximum and keep the rear seats up or remove them. I miss my old grand vitara for practicality and comfort. If you were to want to be able to move washing machines then best consider a trailer.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 21:31 by supergaz.

• guttercat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 23:27 #51824 by guttercat
Replied by guttercat on topic Cheap roof bars
IMO the Lidl roofbars are solid, & a good investment at £28.
I've carried 3.8m/40mm kitchen worktops (50kg at least), and various other timber on mine - without incident. Just drive carefully.

i agree with auchenblae - fitting/unfitting is fiddly, but if you leave them on all the time that's not an issue. However, they do "whistle" above 30mph - a good speed indicator some may say.

I wouldn't consider putting a washing machine on the roof. The Jim will happily take any under-worktop appliance 600x600x900 straight in the back, with the seats down, no problem.

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 23:45 #51827 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Cheap roof bars

Sandspider wrote: Do you think they'd be strong enough to carry (say) a washing machine on? Or would they only really do for mounting lights on and light loads?

(I don't have a Jimny yet, so I'm not sure how strong the roof mounts are...)

Thanks.

I'm saving this one as the "Bizarre question of the month"- Jimny is a tall narrow vehicle and washing machines are very heavy, I 'd struggle to lift the thing that high and the handling would be adversely affected! As pointed out aboove just put it in the back - big side opening door, weight ove rthe axl, very helpful.
I have roof bars on my daily driver X trail as I often pick up stuff for work but I wouldn't even dream of putting a washer on the roof!
I'll be watching out for you coming the other way :D
atb
Mike

• Northern-Wanderer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2012 00:08 #51830 by Northern-Wanderer
Replied by Northern-Wanderer on topic Cheap roof bars
The jimny owners manual says do not exceed 30kg gross weight on the roof,ie subtract the roof bars weight from 30kg and thats what you can carry on the roof.I would think a washer far outweighs this.

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2012 09:04 #51934 by happypig
Replied by happypig on topic Re: Cheap roof bars
I can personally testify that you can get a washing machine in the back of a jimny.
It will also take bookcases, chest of drawers, televisions, dishwashers and the like.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds