BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rocklobster! Errr no, a standard SJ410 box Grrrrr.

• Sponnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 17:19 - 29 Oct 2012 17:23 #51572 by Sponnie
Bought Jambo 12mths ago, with what I though to be a Rocklobster 4.16. Now, either I misunderstood something or i've been bummed (or at least fingered up to the knuckle :P )

So because the t'box was dripping oil and I had already replaced what I thought was the offending seal, which did nothing to stop the drip, I thought I'd call the man in the know. MR Redacted .

He need no introduction but a great guy who knows his shiz.

I have been puzzled for while on the quoted 4.16 ratio as I thought it never had enough low down torque offroad and I've managed to burn one clutch out. So I was curious to know what "custom" ratio was in it....

Well the suprise to both Redacted and me was that it was a completely BOG STANDARD SJ410 box. I was and still am not happy!!! :angry: :angry: (Although that Burger King did take the edge off :P )

The only upside is that Jambo is amazingly capable already, and if this can be improved more so with a proper Rocklobster/crawler box than that's frickin awesome.

I'd like to thank Richard for refrubing my t'box, making it look, feel and drive like new. I also forced him to take it off and put it back on again, which I believe is Hen's teeth rare :lol: So now at least I have a good base to work from.

Best get saving some more pennies for this damn hobby :P ;) B)

OH and just to add... I've done some Ebay retail therapy (Reaper is to blame) and I've bought some second hand axles to beef up, add ARB's and upgrade the front to 26 spline etc etc. For all Jimny mods..... there's MASTERCARD :P
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 17:23 by Sponnie. Reason: add some info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 17:40 - 29 Oct 2012 17:43 #51574 by supergaz
I was sold my 6.5:1 from Nick who you got your jimny from.

It turned out to be a 4.16:1 I sent him a message as I was not happy and got no reply, so HE RIPPED ME OFF! :angry: :angry: :angry: Ohhh it pee'd oil out from every seal!
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 17:43 by supergaz.

• Sponnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 17:55 #51580 by Sponnie
How crazy is that! He has been 100% on the Jimny until now :(

He did offer me that box but tbh I didnt know what the hell it was at the time being a complete noob.

I think I'm going 6:1 if I upgrade the axles as well. I only want to spend the money once!!

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 18:06 #51583 by reaper
Sheeet man thats a kick in the sack , thinking you and gaz should pop down and see him .
Oooo some axles to mess with that will take your mind of it a little :-) .
So what are your plans ? Custom gears in that box or find a 413 to buid a lobster ?

More
29 Oct 2012 18:18 #51586 by supergaz
I believe Redacted can now do OEM gears in all different ratios.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 18:19 #51587 by Paul4x4
Man, that must really suck! :( But on the bright side, you think offroading is fun, but when you get the real reduction gears installed, the fun is just about to start! B)

I just installed my 6.5 gears into a samurai t-case, and I hope to get the thing under the Jim in a few days. From my experience with SJ's and Samurai's, 6.5 is the way to go with 33's, and the lobster is only good for smaller than 31's...

Gotta love how you have crossed the rock lobster off of your mods list! That really cracked me up! :laugh: :laugh:

• Sponnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 19:18 #51602 by Sponnie

Paul4x4 wrote: Man, that must really suck! :( But on the bright side, you think offroading is fun, but when you get the real reduction gears installed, the fun is just about to start! B)

I just installed my 6.5 gears into a samurai t-case, and I hope to get the thing under the Jim in a few days. From my experience with SJ's and Samurai's, 6.5 is the way to go with 33's, and the lobster is only good for smaller than 31's...

Gotta love how you have crossed the rock lobster off of your mods list! That really cracked me up! :laugh: :laugh:

I've got to say for those wanting a quick fix, 33's with the 410 box have been really good. So I'm really looking forward to a proper box now! lol

Supergaz/Reaper - Yeah I've seen Redacted today and I just need to think about what ratio I want, its the same cost for 5: or 6:. If i keep the axles standard then the extra torque in those difficult situations could be the std CV's undoing! BUT if I upgrade the axles then ill bang the 6: in!

More
29 Oct 2012 20:33 - 29 Oct 2012 20:41 #51612 by mlines
I can now do the 6.5:1 gear sets to drop in a 413 box if anyone is interested,

Look to be around £500 per set, less if more than one is bought

Sent from my HP Touch pad using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 20:41 by mlines.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 20:41 #51615 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Rocklobster! Errr no, a standard SJ410 box Grrrrr.
think you'd be fine with the std axles and CVs with a 6.1 in as you would have more control at low speeds so less likely to spin the wheels and then them getting sudden traction which is what breaks half shafts and CVs so save money and go straight for the 6.1

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 20:45 - 29 Oct 2012 20:47 #51619 by Rockwatt

mlines wrote: I can now do the 6.5:1 gear sets to drop in a 413 box if anyone is interested,

Look to be around £500 per set, less if more than one is bought

Sent from my HP Touch pad using Tapatalk

Where you getting them from Martin ? Jap ? Yank ? Chinese ?
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 20:47 by Rockwatt.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 20:52 #51620 by reaper
Quick question richard
Are your new gear sets a direct replacment in one of your made up lobster box's ? Im thinking if i want to upgrade from the 4.1 gears is it and easy swap over ?
Ta matey

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 20:58 #51622 by Rockwatt

reaper wrote: Quick question richard
Are your new gear sets a direct replacment in one of your made up lobster box's ? Im thinking if i want to upgrade from the 4.1 gears is it and easy swap over ?
Ta matey

yes it's a strait swop as the 6.1 and 6.3's replace all the gears and doesn't use any of the 410 or 413 gears unlike the 4.9 and 4.16 sets use some of the original gears.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds