BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cleaned the Polycarbonate Headlights today

• ZookFastback
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2012 03:59 #51385 by ZookFastback
Cleaned the Polycarbonate Headlights today was created by ZookFastback
Cleaned the polycarbonate headlamps on my Jimny today. Only spent 5 minutes on each and got rid of the yellow tarnish. Haven't done a perfect job cos my visitors were whinging about abandoning them. Mind ya, they hadn't rung before they lobbed and I had planned to do this job.

I used about a half inch of toothpaste on each headlamp. Washed the lamps first with soapy water then spread the paste and rubbed for a couple of minutes, varying the direction of rubbing, sideways then up and down then diagonally. After a couple of minutes each I then wet the rag and wash for another minute then cleaned up with clean water. Very happy with the job, 11 years of yellowing has gone and I can't stare into the lights anymore so they are putting out plenty of light.

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• phippj1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2012 16:12 #51430 by phippj1
Replied by phippj1 on topic Cleaned the Polycarbonate Headlights today
Hi, was that the inside or out side you cleaned, as mine are going manky on the inside? Didnt know if you could get the lamps apart to clean the inside?

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2012 17:31 #51442 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Cleaned the Polycarbonate Headlights today
Most lamps are usually a sealed unit

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2012 17:35 #51444 by Sponnie
I did mine with Tcut then a coat of polish. Same as you got them back to clear and no yellowing. Top job.

A must do job for winter.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• phippj1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2012 19:33 #51458 by phippj1
Did you do the inside or outside of them? As mine are yellow but looks like its on the inside

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2012 19:45 #51461 by Sponnie
Outside. The lights are probably sealed as said.

• SOTA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2012 23:17 #51644 by SOTA
They're not sealed, they have holes for sidelights and the main/dip beam lamp, but it would be a complete PITA to try and clean them inside with a bottle brush.

If they're stained/misted inside maybe it's time for a 2nd hand set of lights?

Nice tip on the colgate for the headlights, I'll give that a go. :)

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2012 05:24 #51653 by Dan_w
If you need to clean the inside then you may be able to separate the lens from the rest of the light, I have done this on cars previously with a heat gun and have heard it is also possible to do my placing them in the oven, both ways will soften the sealant holding on the lens. Putting the lens in the dishwasher will give then a good clean before using the toothpaste trick.

Just be sure to seal them up again especially if you do any wading. One light on a previous car would get fogged of on the inside on occasions where I did not get a good seal. I have not done this on a Jimny before but can’t see there being much difference.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds