BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gettin new 2012 Jimny what should I do first

• Brigsy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2012 21:00 #50995 by Brigsy
Hey guys I'm new to the site and Jimny's. I am still waiting to get my car but am already trying to figure out what to and I what order. Will be greatful for any advice thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2012 21:20 #50997 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Gettin new 2012 Jimny what should I do first
If its new then maybe get it properly undersealed from day 1. Dont know if new ones are better than older ones but they will rust.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• Brigsy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2012 21:33 #50998 by Brigsy
Thanks for that it is brand new so I really want to make sure I get the longest life out of it that I can. I live in Australia and beach and mud will be the main places it will go. Do you need to do any engine work straight away or just work on suspension and tires

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2012 21:47 #51000 by reaper
Depends how far you want to go mate , the jimny is very capable right out of the box

• Brigsy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2012 22:25 #51007 by Brigsy
At first I just want a bit more clearance and some better tires but from there I have no idea knowing me ill get addicted and want more but just unsure what's the best way to go about it all

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2012 23:10 #51008 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Re: Gettin new 2012 Jimny what should I do first

GuardianAngel wrote: Thanks for that it is brand new so I really want to make sure I get the longest life out of it that I can. I live in Australia and beach and mud will be the main places it will go.

Here in the UK its always wet and in the winter the roads get salted which is the death knell for Jimnys!

If your driving on beaches then salt water will have the same effect. Also wet mud sticking to the underside wont help. If you have access to a jet wash use it to clear off the crap after a heavy 4x4 session.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

More
22 Oct 2012 07:50 #51015 by kirkynut
We don't generally touch the engines on Jimny's and the newer ones have the most power and torque of them all.

So I would folow the above advice and get it rust proofed from day one - wayoiled properly, especially inside the sills as they rust from the inside out where water and moisture gets in but can't get out.

I would also buy some Lanolin oil and spray it over the underside once a year, perhaps before winter each year, but certainly in the first year or asap after purchase. That will reduce the surface rust that appears under them, which eventually becomes more.

Don't forget the parts of th engine bay that rust - around the battery, in the crevices and under the headlamps.

Then when you start to mod it, stick with suspension, tyres, gearing and sill protection bars, winch bumpers (or bars I think you call them over there).

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Brigsy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2012 08:14 #51021 by Brigsy
Thanks a lot for that. Having a bit of an issue with the bull bar ( bumper ) they don't make them for the newer models any one know if there is a way around this ?

• thatbigbloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2012 12:51 #51029 by thatbigbloke
Replied by thatbigbloke on topic Re: Re: Gettin new 2012 Jimny what should I do first
SELL IT!! :laugh:

• Brigsy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2012 20:20 #51121 by Brigsy
Finally get to pick up my jimny this morning can't wait

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds