BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Not very good in the wet on roads?

More
21 Sep 2012 15:37 - 21 Sep 2012 16:18 #48475 by Halford
totally agree with Keefe,

I know some people don't have any issues with the dueller h/t's, but they were on mine when I got her and they were leathal, no grip what-so-ever (at correct pressures) and that was with 3 to 4 mm tread, maybe with more tread they're OK.

I changed to Grabber AT2's with 32mm spacers and car sticks to the road like Glue :) but mpg took a nose dive :( wothwhile trade-off as far as I'm concerned :woohoo:

maybe it's just a North East thing or an ex-biker thing re: tyre awareness
Last edit: 21 Sep 2012 16:18 by Halford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2012 16:05 #48477 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
I've had mine on duellers since I got it last year and never had a problem, although I used winter tyres from November to March. If your tyre pressures are all OK then it would be worth checking the wheel alignment before spending money on new tyres

• Northern-Wanderer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2012 16:31 #48478 by Northern-Wanderer
Replied by Northern-Wanderer on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
My jim has done 26thou on the standard duellers without any problems if i dont push it hard on roundabouts etc, but now it "squeals" the tyres very easily.Do Bridgestones start to lose their grip the more miles they do.

More
21 Sep 2012 16:59 - 21 Sep 2012 17:00 #48481 by Halford
think you could be right, may be worth checking how much tread you've on the front compared to the rear, and possibly swapping them over to see what difference it makes - puuting those with most tread on the rears should help improve things (less squeal - more grip).
Last edit: 21 Sep 2012 17:00 by Halford. Reason: addition

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2012 17:31 - 21 Sep 2012 17:34 #48482 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
we had Duellers on when we got ours changed them as soon as we could aford to grabber ats 205 75 15 after a few low speed slides, grabbers were the best mod to a car i have done what a difference they made to the cornering and ride.and i think they looked good, new ones are ment to be even better in the wet.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2012 17:34 by nicho.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2012 21:35 #48505 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
All I can say is that from my experience with the duelers in Cyprus, I would not have them fitted on a UK car at all. No matter how worn or at whatever pressure, they are rubbish!

I'm not a chav in a Corsa etc, I know how to drive, I know the differences in grip in varying types of tarmac, usually by first sight.
In my younger years I raced motorcycles, always had rear wheel drive cars, Westfields for instance and I'm police pursuit trained, so I know a crap tyres when I ride on them. I understand all the faff about higher CoG, wider/narrower track etc etc. So, the duelers I've had the use of, in damp/wet conditions on certain types of tarmac, have been rubbish.

Sits back and waits to be flamed.
:-)

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2012 22:02 #48506 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
what ever you do don't get khumo kl71's i had them on my last terrano & was shocking in the wet & not great in the dry either

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2012 22:20 #48508 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
LoL!
Hey Up, Rich.

Had the KL71's on my Delica and they were excellent apart from a couple of 'high speed' stops when they 'walked' a little and got the nipper-offerer working!
The side walls were quite soft as well and I used to go a little careful when on sharp stone runs.

Funnily enough, the Delica had duelers on when I first got it and they weren't too bad. Could spin up the rears on roundabouts etc with great ease in 2wd but were fine when in 4wd.

Catch you later. :-)

More
21 Sep 2012 23:06 #48511 by mcjimny

Halford wrote: think you could be right, may be worth checking how much tread you've on the front compared to the rear, and possibly swapping them over to see what difference it makes - puuting those with most tread on the rears should help improve things (less squeal - more grip).

If you do "rotate" your tyres suzuki show to rotate clockwise taking in the spare too.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 07:34 #48657 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?

vitara_mad wrote: what ever you do don't get khumo kl71's i had them on my last terrano & was shocking in the wet & not great in the dry either

I've got KL71s, no issues at all in any conditions...

• richie60
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2012 10:34 #48663 by richie60
Replied by richie60 on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
I second the last post, just put KL-71's on mine and they're miles better than the old standard Dueller tyres. Out and about in the wet weather most of the day yesterday and the car feels a lot safer in the wet.

• Trillian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 14:25 #48865 by Trillian
Replied by Trillian on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
I've just bought a set of two new alloys with almost brand spanker tyres from a breaker in Wales, he did me a deal of £105 for the pair, (I was going to get all of my alloys sand blasted and re-sprayed for £200) as I have two alloys that are badly corroded. Anyway, when I took the rear wheel off that I had grazed I noticed that the tyre wasn't in great shape - thin tiny cracks all over. I checked all my other tyres and none of them were in this condition apart from my spare. Is this possibly the reason for my slippery experiences?

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds