BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Isuzu 1.7 td

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 22:35 #45449 by Dave c
Isuzu 1.7 td was created by Dave c
Just seeing if anyone has ever thought done or tried to fit the 1.7td isuzu engine from a cavalier/astra onto a Jimny gear box fairly sure it could be done.
biggest issue will be can i get the Isuzu flywheel inside the Jimny bell housing i guess.
Dont want to go down the Manta gearbox route as rare as hens teeth now.
88hp with 123lb ft touque would be fairly lively in a jim jam i reckon any thought appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bari
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2012 13:06 #45453 by bari
Replied by bari on topic Re: Isuzu 1.7 td
ive a 1.5 isuzu in mine but ive it fited to a manta gearbox(my gear box was broken)nice fit in the jimny with plenty of power :cheer:

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2012 17:36 #45467 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Isuzu 1.7 td

Dave c wrote: Just seeing if anyone has ever thought done or tried to fit the 1.7td isuzu engine from a cavalier/astra onto a Jimny gear box fairly sure it could be done.
biggest issue will be can i get the Isuzu flywheel inside the Jimny bell housing i guess.
Dont want to go down the Manta gearbox route as rare as hens teeth now.
88hp with 123lb ft touque would be fairly lively in a jim jam i reckon any thought appreciated

might be worth talking to rhino ray as he has fitted various diesels into jimnys and SJs

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 22:01 #47369 by Dave c
Replied by Dave c on topic Re: Isuzu 1.7 td
Well bit the bullet and bought myself a isuzu 1.7 tdi powered mk3 astra estate the weekend got the whole car for a few hundred quid so i can get everthing i need.
Will get over £100 back when i weigh whats left in for scrap.
So after a quick look about found that all engine needs to run is a live to the diesel pump no damn ECU to worry about.
Pulled the engine out gave it a good clean and looks like there are plenty of spare tapped holes either side of the block to fab engine mounts to.
So over the next week or so going to see if i can make the jimny gearbox fit in someway if it dosent pan out i will be looking for a Manta gearbox if its still possible to find one but really would like to make jimny box fit if its possible
watch this space and wish me luck

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 22:17 #47373 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Isuzu 1.7 td
get in touch with rhino ray iv seen his set up he has jigs to fit an engine and gear box on so it all lines up all he does is cut the vauxhall gearbox bell housing off where the bolts go and the same on a limy box lines it all up and welds them together

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 22:41 #47376 by Dave c
Yeah ive known Ray for many years and he is close to me :) last time i mashed a SJ box to a 1.9 pug engine i milled the front face of the gearbox back then built a bolt on adaptor to go bettween the engine and box worked really well in fact so well bloke i sold it to featured it in a magazine saying he built it !!!!!!!!
Prob wiv the pug engine was just so damn heavy unlike the isuzu.
If i can get this to work may CAD it up so i can share the info im sure there would be some interest

• lee337
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2012 06:39 #47379 by lee337
Replied by lee337 on topic Re: Isuzu 1.7 td
KAP are advertising conversion kits to fit the Isuzu engine into a Jimny using the standard gearbox.

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2012 06:46 #47380 by Dave c
have you got a link to the advert ?

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2012 12:27 #47397 by Dave c
Wow rang KAP only £725+VAT double what i paid for the entire truck Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• lee337
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2012 12:58 #47400 by lee337
Replied by lee337 on topic Re: Isuzu 1.7 td
Yeah it's not cheap but it's cheaper than most of the other diesel engine conversion kits I've looked at

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2012 13:10 #47401 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Isuzu 1.7 td

Dave c wrote: Wow rang KAP only £725+VAT double what i paid for the entire truck Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that including engine? :ohmy:

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2012 16:24 #47547 by Dave c
After much phoning about and asking questions have decided to go down the route of mounting Jimny box to Isuzu engine.
Measured up and reckon that 25mm thick adaptor plate will go bettween the engine and the box to clear the ring gear and also give me material to bolt the jimny box to.
As for the fly wheel its a total no go so will make my own with isuzu ring gear on the back jimny clutch on the front. I know KAP do a kit but cant justify spending nearly a bag of sand buying it so £100 of material and a few late nites head scratching in the workshop will be good for the grey matter throw in a cheap paddle clutch and could be all done for £250 or £150 if i can blag the materials

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds