BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 17:27 #45428 by lukeyblunt
Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres was created by lukeyblunt
Hi Everybody !!

Soon enough, I'll be looking into putting some bigger boots on my Jimny.. but I realised that with bigger boots, I may need a lift kit.

This is her..

Can anybody provide me with a 'lift kits explanation for dummies'..? Body or Spring..?

I do about as much driving on road as I do OFF road.. so what kind of tyres would be best suited..?
The majority of my offroad driving is through (and over) wet, muddy tractor ruts.. So I'll need better clearance overall .. so will this suggest a body lift..??

Any response will be grately appreciated!

Thanks,
Luke
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 17:42 - 03 Aug 2012 17:45 #45431 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres
body lift is mainly for fitting bigger tyres and the looks. Where suspension lift gives you more wheel articulation and possible to fit bigger tyres.

So suspension lift is the way to go for offroad use.
A bodylift only raises the body, not the chassis. Only a suspensionlift gives you more ground clearance. That, and bigger tyres :-)

Regarding tyres, I would look at Maxxis Trepadors or Insa turbo special track. Depending on how much offroad you doing.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 17:45 by TomDK.

• JimnyX19
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 17:49 #45432 by JimnyX19
Replied by JimnyX19 on topic Re: Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres
Same as me mate I had same as you before I started spending , I went for maxxis AT not sure of exact make will check for you when I'm home if you want, they are 50/50 on/off road cost me £380 I think maybe a little less for 5 brand new , much better than full road tyres , I would recommend to anyone mud terrain if they don't use the jimny on road but they will wear down pritty quick, so of like me use the road and off road best is all terrain personally , but still you will I find it bit crap with suspension and also rocks mud humps hitting underneath car , so what I've done now but haven't fitted yet is 2" body lift off jimny bits and rough country 3" shocks and springs off this shop also to go with that I've also had to get extended brake hoses , steering spaces and super pro caster correction bushes . Hope it helps but that's what I'm doing may not be as comfortable on road but a lot better off I think and hope :P nathan

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 18:36 #45435 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres
A modest 2" lift would be plenty to be honest for soft roading you may not even need that .
As for tyres an AT will suit best stay away from MT or agressive tyres as they suck on road especially the special tracks

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 18:58 #45438 by TomDK
True that.

but AT tyres suck twice as much offroad.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 19:04 #45440 by reaper
What ?
No mate AT tyres are very good off road , granted not if your going to pay and plays but for farm track , green lanes and snow they are fantastic

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 19:07 #45441 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres
If you think you're doing well offroad with AT's, you're not really offroading! LOL :laugh:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 19:14 #45443 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres
if you want more ground clearance at the lowest point ie the diff then bigger wheels and tyres are needed but to fit them you will need a suspension lift and may be a body lift depends how big you go

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 19:15 #45444 by reaper

lukeyblunt wrote: The majority of my offroad driving is through (and over) wet, muddy tractor ruts..

And neither is the OP
That is why i recomended AT's

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 20:05 #45445 by TomDK

Paul4x4 wrote: If you think you're doing well offroad with AT's, you're not really offroading! LOL :laugh:

Exactly. AT tyres are for gravel roads, nothing more :-)

Well, and asphalt. :-)

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 21:02 #45446 by reaper
Well mine must be super dooper ones then :silly:
AT = all terrain ie works in all terrains , granted the real rough stuff on play sites etc will be to much but muddy tracks , grass, gravel , and snow are no problem hell if top gear can run 3 normal cars across a desert then a jimny with AT,s will go on a bit of soft stuff no problem

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2012 21:22 #45447 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Lift Kits and Bigger Tyres
What you running on your at's dale? Are they 31s.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds