BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Removing A God Damn Steering Wheel! (With Pics)

• Countryboy03
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 20:51 - 01 Aug 2012 20:53 #45308 by Countryboy03
Bought this wheel + boss cheap:

File Attachment:

Untitled by countryboy1962 , on Flickr

To replace this real tatty one:

File Attachment:

Untitled by countryboy1962 , on Flickr

Taken nut off but the wheel is seized solid on the splines.

Looked at a few youtube vids (various makes/models) and there's many a rough bastard swinging on it to remove them.

They sell steering wheel removal kits on ebay but there not particulally cheap and i only need to use it once, also none are listed as suitable for Suzuki's (although one could probably mod to suit).

There are two bolt holes to screw bolts (seen left+right in the last pic), could maybe put two bolts with a strip of metal plate across and drive it out that way?

Anyone else had this trouble :( ?
Last edit: 01 Aug 2012 20:53 by Countryboy03.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 21:09 #45313 by markyp2000
put the nut back on or you may end up with 2 black eyes and a nose bleed hold it at the left and right sides when it sits stright the wiggle left to right and yank like f#$k it will pop off dont hit it you will damage the tread and may be the colloum to

More
01 Aug 2012 21:12 #45316 by Johnniehec
Hi, I've not done it with the Jimny but the usual method I've used is
Put the nut back on so that it's just proud of the end of the steering column then hit it sharply with a hammer. Don't know what you're going to do with the airbag though? Someone will probably advise.
Cheers,
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 21:15 #45317 by markyp2000
with out the airbag it will/may fail the mot after november dont hit is cos it may be a collapsable colloum

• Countryboy03
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 21:19 #45318 by Countryboy03
Replied by Countryboy03 on topic Re: Removing A God Damn Steering Wheel! (With Pics)
Yeah, i did put the nut on a few threads when pulling on it :laugh:

It's seized solid, no movement on it one bit :dry:

Markyp has just told me come November it wont pass MOT but ill cross that bridge a year in September.

Anyone else any idea - pulling on it isn't going to cut it :(

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 21:25 #45322 by markyp2000
if your not going to use it again try using a heat gun want warm it up

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 21:27 #45323 by markyp2000
i also said it may fail bepends if thay pull there finger out and bring it in

• Countryboy03
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 21:45 #45328 by Countryboy03
Replied by Countryboy03 on topic Re: Removing A God Damn Steering Wheel! (With Pics)
Worst comes to worst I'll put it back on - but now I've bought it I'd like to see the new one on if only for a bit.

There's a plastic cup behind the steering wheel so I'm reluctant to use heat.

More
01 Aug 2012 21:58 #45329 by facade
Can't you make an extractor?
There are 2 threaded holes in your picture that take bolts to extract the wheel with a bar across the column. Drill a hole in the bar and put a nut & bolt through it, then loosen the nut whilst holding the bolt to pull the wheel off the correct way. There is a ribbon cassette for the airbag wiring that has to be set correctly if the wheel is replaced.

There are plastic pegs in the column that will snap off if you start hitting with hammers, then you need a new column.

BTW once the ignition is switched on with the airbag disconnected, the light will come on forever and has to be reset.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 22:16 #45332 by markyp2000
BTW once the ignition is switched on with the airbag disconnected, the light will come on forever and has to be reset.[/quote]

that didnt happen on mine i replaced the air bag ring light had been on for a week till i could get a new one pluged it all in and the light went out and then worked as it should when ignition was switched on

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2012 22:20 #45333 by markyp2000
the bit in the wheel is alloy it will conduct heat quick if you take it easy it will come off if you make a puller of some sort make shore it dont touch the end of the colloum you mat bur it over and damage the tread ither put the nut on a few treads or some thing that will sit in the little dip the the end of the colloum

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2012 12:52 #45350 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Removing A God Damn Steering Wheel! (With Pics)
I'd be inclined to spray it with WD40 and try again in the morning.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds