BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Anyone in the nw change kingpin bearings for me..?

• zaine
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2012 14:46 #43549 by zaine
Hopefully picking up a new Jim at the weekend

Have been told straight away that it has a touch of the death wobble between 40/50mph and ive got a few quid off because of this

Its all standard apart from at tyres

Owner says he thinks its the kingpin bearings

Now although im fairly happy holding a spanner i wouldnt like to take something like this on straight away as i know little to nothing about jimnys mechanically wise :blush:

So, what id like to know, is there anyone in the nw area (im based in southport) who could do this for me? Obviously i will pay and will take the jimny wherever needed

thanks
z

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2012 18:32 #43557 by mcjimny
If you are half way confident with the spanners you can easily do it with the help of the "how to guide" on here. I used it first time and i'd never tackled the job before, it made the job so easy.
Take your time and follow it step by step. Before you start though spray the bolts on the caliper carrier and any other accessible ones with wd40.
Only other advice is to use a cold chisel or grind a good edge on to a punch to tap out the bearing race if you don't have access to a welder as martin does in the guide.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Countryboy03
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2012 17:57 #43650 by Countryboy03
PM'd

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2012 22:01 #43680 by markyp2000

mcjimny wrote: If you are half way confident with the spanners you can easily do it with the help of the "how to guide" on here. I used it first time and i'd never tackled the job before, it made the job so easy.
Take your time and follow it step by step. Before you start though spray the bolts on the caliper carrier and any other accessible ones with wd40.
Only other advice is to use a cold chisel or grind a good edge on to a punch to tap out the bearing race if you don't have access to a welder as martin does in the guide.

a welder what do you need a welder for to change king pin bearings?

More
08 Jul 2012 10:40 #43692 by facade
You dab weld onto a bar placed across the outer race and twist them out if you haven't the patience and long enough punches to knock them out from the opposite side of the swivel housing.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2012 10:50 #43693 by markyp2000
ok i can see that working as i weld wheel bearing outer races to aid removel due to the heat from welding saves using a press

More
08 Jul 2012 14:17 #43710 by maverick
i tapped my races out with a sharp pointed chisel/centre-punch, there just enough between the housing and the race.

If you do the King Pins, I'd strongly suggest you do both front bearings at the same time.

I've done both my bearings and King Pins using the How To guides on here -- only hassle with the bearings is using local garage to press them back on, but they only £10 a side!

Jalapeño, IISY?

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds